WIX, NAPA GOLD or SUPERTECH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people here have used a super tech filter? How many have used a napa gold and or wix? I have always used a WIX. I buy them by the case for my honda civic for around 70$ a case in the Punxsutawney area at a mom and pop auto parts store thats been around for almost 100 yrs. Guess I should ask; would you feel MORE comfortable and at ease running a wix, napa gold or super tech? I am fine and dandy using my WIX 51356 anyday over a "house brand" filter just due to quality control concerns and quality in general.

I use ST filter across a ton of applications, if you do a search you can see each brand cut open. The ST filter is hard to beat for 2.80, the Wix is a good filter but expensive, and the Napa Gold is exactly the same as a wix, but more expensive. Best thing you can do is run all the filters cut them open and ask yourself if certain filters are worth the few extra bucks and make your decision from there.

Hello and thanks for the reply Defektes. I honestly thought bout using my same 5W20 VALVOLINE CONVENTIONAL and a super tech 7317 as around the pitt area wal marts they are still 2.75 I think. At my work at the airport all we use are CHAMP LABS stuff. Had a champ labs PH 500 blow the filter seam apart on a 2010 ford escape v-6. Champ paid to have the engine rebuilt at FORD DEALERSHIP. Why is a wix filter so heavy also after bein used for any mileage; whether its 5,000 miles like I do or just 3,000 miles? Just curious.

Know what really burns me: I go to wal mart in punxsutawney or 130 miles northeast of Hopewell area where I live, and not as much of a ST filter selection as the two wal marts where I am in pittsburgh area. I like to buy stuff like filters by the case or least get 2-3 or em'. Anyone on here in the Pittsburgh area? Gotta be some PENGUINS FANS HERE EH?

Like I mentioned in your other post, I used ST filters for 40 k mi on my car (non ecore). Had absolutely no probs. Im 99% sure its a rebadged stp filter which has a rating of 96% at 20 microns. Ive even used these when autocrossing.

Think I may try one for 4,000 oci with SUPER TECH OIL around early to mid feb as then I will have 5,500 miles. dsmdriver, do you or have you had any hondas and if so any problems and did you have great luck with them like I have with mine? I have had mine for three and half years now as had 60,006 miles when I got it. Also dsmdriver; are you still using super tech 5w ?0 oil and st filters? Just wondering. If you used em for first 40,000 miles with no problems think I will give em a shot.

I had one honda. It was a 98 civic ex. Treated me good. Sold it with 256 k miles. Currently have a scion tc. Im not using any ST oil or filters right now. I just use whatever syn oil has a rebate or on sale. Using pureone oil filters cause I gotta bunch on sale using AAP discount codes. I change oil for my moms car, my uncle, and two other friends, and I always use ST oil and ST filters for them. No probs with those cars for the last 2 years that ive been doing it.

A lot of this is just personal comfort or habit. There's little difference btw'n filters, they have to meet automaker's stds. And, store brands aren't made by the store, they're made in the same factories as the name brands. Buy what you're comfortable with, but in addition to the above comments, remember that somewhere, someone has had a simply horrific experience with just about every product ever made....regardless of cost or brand. So, just b/c you heard someone blew their car up using 'x' brand means...nothing.
I also agree that a hacksaw is worth a thousand words, go cut up a few of your favorite brands of filter and see. What's most surprising is how cheap the Fram always looks, even to the uninformed...even though it's probably the most popular.
With oil, again it must meet certain uniform stds., so as long as you're using what the manufacturer recommends in terms of weight, and your engine has no real issues that you'd need an oil to address...you're fine using whatever brand you like.

As an FYI, I use Motorcraft 5-20 SB in my brand spanking new Fiesta..whch is highly rated, and made by Conoco-Philips, even though 'Motorcraft'=Ford.

Hello there Noey, and the 2010 FORD ESCAPE that blew up; I dont in my honest to god opinion was caused by a CHAMP LABS filter. I think something else happened that caused the filter to blow up. I have been with my rental car company for 4 and a half years now and I havent seen a champ labs oil filter blow up or apart till then. About FRAM; I remember my father doing a couple of engine rebuilds that used fram filters, and he hated the filter media that was in the filter, he compared it honestly to toilet paper or paper towls! I swore I would NEVER, EVER use a fram, and always have had and hopefully will continue to have success with a WIX filter. I am honestly on the next oil change going to try a SUPER TECH 7317 filter and SUPER TECH OIL. Thank you Noey for your wisdom and reply.

Glad to help...Yeah, unless there's a consistent pattern of problems with one particular make or model of any part or manufacturer, then it's really just gossip. Also, if you have nothing to do, get an extra ST and a Fram (same models) and tear them apart. It's not just the element (You really can't tell much by the look of the medium, anyways), but you CAN tell with things like the pressure spring, the way the thing is constructed, the welds, etc. Fram is really [censored], even if you don't really know what to look for, if you've got a comparo filter apart it will be immediately obvious.

Super tech is good stuff, don't be swayed by the price or the fact that it's WalMart.

I will never use a purolator since my friend last year bought a purolator that said on the filter "made in honduras". That tells me "DONT USE ME". I would rather use a FRAM or pep boys filter. I am gonna use a SUPER TECH 7317 next oil change with SUPER TECH 5W20 CONVENTIONAL OIL! To me purolator these days and in my 32 yrs of life didnt and hasnt stood for much; WIX on the other hand has as my father, grandfather and a lot of my uncles have used WIX without incident on cars, tractors, trucks, hydraulics. Dont think PUROLATOR can say that.

I guess purolator is a decent filter, but in all the years I have used WIX, never had one that wasnt made in the U.S.A. and WIX feels lil better built and heavier to me. Just my thoughts.

I know of no Purolator 'oil filters' made in Honduras, past or present. Afaik, all Puro 'oil' filters are currently made in the manufacturing plant in Fayetteville, NC. They also currently make filters for Motorcraft, Mopar, Mann, Bosch and many other brands.

And, I agree with daman, while the ST is a 'serviceable' oil filter, IMO, all around WIX/NG are higher quality filters. I wouldn't put the ST in the same class as Wix/NG.

Also depending on the application, not all ST's are like the ST 7317 which you veiwed/commented on in a recent thread. Some/many have a completely different design called 'Ecore', which some members here just don't like.

Not to be condescending, but being a newb, some reading of other oil filter threads, and search, can help get more good information about oil filters. There's lots of it here.

Thank you for your help and advice and suggestions Sayjac. I will read up some more on filters, as currently reading from back to the current time frame. Werent both WIX and Purolator around forever or does it just seem that way to me?

thanks again sayjac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back