Grease for Propeller Shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to grease the propeller shaft on my 03 Toyota 4Runner, and I have some Amsoil Multi-purpose #2 Grease. Is this a good grease for this?

Dennis

I'm sure amsoil2 is good stuff and would probably work just fine. Just FWIWm On bmw and many shaft driven bikes lubing a simular splined shaft is very important maintenance, usually done during tire changes. Through the years guys have tried a bunch of stuff trying to find the perfect spline lube, or at least one that's still there at the next tire change (many don't last). Overall concensus is a moly paste sold by honda, moly60. Not sure if you want to try it, but might give an idea of type of product has proven to work in a simular application.

You will be good with Amsoil general purpose grease,however Toyota likes moly in the grease,as Im not sure of the moly level in their grease you have,myself I had a toyota 4X4 1985 and used Mystik high temp mostly ,and the truck had 248k when I sold it to a farmer to use to pull wagons,still had original driveline parts U-joints seals etc,also used Mystik 75w-90 semi synt in punkins,tranny etc Mystik worked fine for me.BL

I know it's not a 4Runner, but according to the factory manual, my Land Cruiser calls for non-moly grease in the props and moly grease in the steering knuckles.

I just checked my owners manual and it tells me to use a Lithium base grease NLGI #2. I may opt for the Amsoil series 2000 Racing grease instead after doing a little research on this site and on the Amsoil site. What do you guys think?

after more thought,Schaeffers 274 #2 would be a great choice,check with site sponsor for a couple of tubes,this is what I would do cosidering the situation,rember to flush out old grease,if you want lithium comples Mystik SX-6 semi synt is a exceptional grease.BL

You just keep on pumping in the new grease until the old grease seeps out of the seal.

I just did this last week on the props of my AWD Land Cruiser. The old grease was gray and my new Mobil 1 synthetic grease is red. So I just kept on pumping in new grease until the grey stuff no longer came out. It took a bit less than one tube of Mobil 1 to do all four of my propeller yokes as well as the two splined slip shafts.

tongue.gif

M-I grease on prop shafts, man am I green with envy, best I can manage here is Caltex Mafrak, enjoy, those shafts will last you a long time.

Chimay, your Amsoil grease will be just fine. It's a synthetic based Lith/Complex #2. As partial as I am to Delo LC #2 & Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp LC #2, I really believe your choice is just as good. My '03 Tundra calls for grease meeting the specs. of your grease EXCEPT in the middle joint of the double-cardan joint (the middle zerk of the joints between the 2 rear driveshafts). In that one joint, they specify a Moly/Lith grease. Amsoil makes a good oneMoly grease. Having said that, I feel you'd be just fine to use the Amsoil you have on hand in that joint, as well. The main point is to lubricate those universals regularly (at least as often as is called for in your owner's maintenance guide) and to use a good grease...and you've got good grease.

On the slide yoke portion of the propeller (drive) shafts you do not want to keep pumping until the old grease comes out. You can end up filling the open space where the shaft is supposed to slide with grease. Then when the shaft slides in it will be not be able to compress. Once you have filled the hollow shaft with grease you need to pull the shaft, clean out the grease and start over.

Three solid pumps of grease on a regular basis should be about right.

If you put in a whole tube of grease in the two shafts I would be concerned that the shafts have a lot of excess lube inside.

Doesn't any excess grease just get squeezed out? I used Amsoil Series 2000 and Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2 for the moly on my 03 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. I just kept pumping until the new grease was coming out and old was gone.

Reread my 98's manual and it says pump MP (multipurpose) grease in each fitting until grease flows out of the oil seal. No mention of moly in the FSM just Lithium NLGI #2 but my cruiser does not have a double-cardan joint.

with the slip yokes on tacaomas and 4-runners you only grease until you see the yoke start to move and thats it. do it every 5-10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back