grease solvent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have to do a brake job this weekend. Gonna have to clean and repack some wheel bearings. What would be a good solvent to use to make the clean up fast. This is what I currently own without having to buy anything.

Acetone
Denatured Alcohol
Laquer Thinner
Simple Green
Spray Carb Cleaner

I've used Simple Green to soak the parts over night. Then take an old toothbrush and scrub away. Use one of the other solvents to get the water/any remaining gunk out before re-greasing. (Spray brake cleaner works great.) Slower than the other solvents, but much more people friendly.

If your in a hurry, go with the Acetone. Not pleasant stuff, but it works great. Make sure to have good ventilation and protect your hands/eyes.

For 'really clean' degreasing I use two steps. Clean everything in mineral spirits... I use a shallow pan and toothbrush. Then follow up with alcohol to remove the residue from mineral spirits. This makes it perfectly clean.

I left that off my list but I bet I still have some mineral spirits left. I was taught to use gasoline. However, I would much rather use someting I have on hand currently. Hoping someone else with experience using something I mentioned could save me some time scrubbing by using something listed that is not as efficient. Thanks for the help so far.

Cleaning wheel bearings isn't rocket science. You stand more of a chance contaminating the bearings with lint, dirty hands, and rust raining from the hub and rotor than by leaving any residue in there. I use mineral spirits and leave it at that. I don't bother with alcohol. I'm sure you'll do okay with whatever you do.

I slosh the bearing in a bucket of Varsol/Naphtha or gasoline if its really nasty. I then blow it out with LOW and I say LOW air pressure.

i just did rear wheel bearings on my car yesterday.

i used gasoline to cut the grease. i also ran a rag through the races to get the old grease out, then cleaned inside the hub and races with brake cleaner. it left the whole thing very clean.

Well, I think I'm gonna try the acetone first. This is the brake job from ****. The female who owns this truck ran it until the inboard pad disentegrated and the caliper pistons was what was providing the braking force on the rotor. Not fun. I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up and accept the fact this is going to take a couple of days finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back