Mobil 1 vs Amsoil synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, new here. Any advice on Mobil 1 vs Amsoil. New mechanic for my 5.3L 2008 Tahoe LTZ recommends Amsoil. He says it's the original and still the best. Currently using Mobil 1. Also, my sister's mechanic replaced synthetic oil with petro-based oil in her 1999 Saab (160k mi, 4 cyl). Is it kosher to go back once synthetic being used? Thanks.

36.gif

As for the differance between the two oils, pretty much equal. Both are fine products which you could never tell the differance. And yes you can switch back and forth from dino to synt.

Last edited:
NO WAY MOBIL IS WAAAAAY BETTER!!!!
33.gif

Either or will get you down the road 300,000 miles and more just because one's a "mechanic".....doesn't make him an expert on lubricants.

since your new use the search you'll be reading for days!!

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
The AMSOIL is WAYYYY better !!
smile.gif

Changing from dino to synthetic oil is no problem , just use the recommended grade .

It is?? First time I ever heard of this!! Yeaks! I have to get up to date!
43.gif

Last edited:
Both are good oils, depending on application.

We'd need more information to really help you make an informed decision.

I've used both, don't like Mobil 1 much, but if I only had those two to pick from I'd use Mobil 1. I do about 12,000 miles a year, and would change my oil twice a year with M1 vs doing an extended drain with Amsoil, or changing Amsoil OE or XL twice.

IMO in the long run my vehicle will be better off. If I had to produce service records for a potential buyer the two 6 month intervals with M1 would be a better selling point. If you watch sales you can get some great deals on the M1 with a good filter for less money too. JMO, FWIW

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Originally Posted By: kcfx4
in my opinion, its like buying oil from avon....lol

Avon sells oil?

Yes , it's called anti ageing cream .

amsoil. My opinion. Lower wear metals on UOAs. Complaints from many people in many car enthusiast forums about excessive noise. Some might say - questionable business ethics. Not to mention that AMSoil is a forum sponser
smile.gif

The trend seems to be that many people are moving away from mobil 1

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
in my opinion, its like buying oil from avon....lol

I'm hoping that your hate bias opinion of Amsoil is based on something factual.

It would not be smart to post in thread after thread your "opinion" that could be considered bashing.

Bill

Which Amsoil is he recommending? I hope he's recommending one of their 100% synthetic products and not one of their newer products if he's calling it original.

What are the drain intervals you would use with Amsoil? If it's short, we tend to go with other oils that cost less here. If it's long then we tend to go with Amsoil, Redline, Motul, or RLI

I'd take Amsoil over any of the standard Mobil 1 offerings. Once you move up to M1's top tier lines such as 0W-40 and Delvac 1, it would be a wash for all practical purposes. The EP line and certainly the HM line would also likely prove to be equal to Amsoil in actual use in a standard passenger vehicle.

Ed

I would buy Amsoil over M1 if price were equal, but Amsoil costs more. Therefore I buy neither.

One thing to look at would be their XL line. (Amsoil that is) It's not an extended drain oil, it costs less than the SSO or whatever their top oils are called now, and appears to still be a well rounded syn.

Originally Posted By: KieferS
amsoil. My opinion. Lower wear metals on UOAs. Complaints from many people in many car enthusiast forums about excessive noise. Some might say - questionable business ethics. Not to mention that AMSoil is a forum sponser
smile.gif

The trend seems to be that many people are moving away from mobil 1

KieferS,
You said" The trend seems to be many people are moving away from Mobil 1". Do you have information to verify this? Also you said" questionable business ethics" refering to XM. Do you have information to verify this? Now XM may be involved in Tom Foolery somewhere, but in my view they are an American success story, when there are few these days, it seems. The original question had to do with the performance of these two fine oils. No need to bash XM in the process with claims you may have a hard time proving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back