Miti-vac 7201

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into getting a Miti-Vac 7201 for draining ATF via a typical fill tube dipstick. The dipstick is probably a little longer than 3'. The hose that comes with the Miti-Vac is 5' long. I'd like to stand the unit on the floor, so I'm thinking 8-10' would be perfect.

Can the unit work properly with 10' of hose? Where can I get the hose for it?

Any comments about the Miti-Vac 7201 vs. other units would be appreciated.

TIA

All MityVac fluid extractors, 7201 included, come with 3 tubes and 2 conectors. The main tube is larger than the other 2 tubes, you connect one of the two smaller tube to the main tube via the connector. You don't need to get a long 8-10' tube to extract oil or transmission fluid. I used the supplied tubes to extract ATF in E430 and LS400 without any problems. The only thing you need is a sturdy but flexible 1 foot hose for bleeding the brake. This hose is to connect between the bleeder screw and the main hose via 1 of 2 connectors. Bleeding the brake is so easy you want to do it every year just for fun.

What I like about 7201 is large capacity of more than 8.5 quarts, which is the oil sump of E430, also it is a pump so that I can transfer used fluid to a container without spilling any drop on the ground. After using for more than 6 years, I would not buy any other fluid extractor.

As far as the price, Amazon has very good price with free shipping. I could find lower price anywhere else.

I bought some extra hose for my MV 7400 at the local Ace Hardware. It's translucent white, fairly stiff but flexible enough, and allows the unit to stand on the floor as it was designed to do when siphoning out the automatic transmission on the Dakota. You could probably find it at many hardware & building supply stores, just take the rubber plug with you to insure a snug fit.

Thanks guys, I was looking to stand it on the floor for use in my Jeep which stands pretty tall, and my Aerostar. I can see the benefit for bleeding brakes as well.

Anyone use these to drain gear oil? Or is gear oil too "thick" for it?

Figured I'd resurrect this thread instead of making my own.

My MityVac 7201 came a few days ago. Given the warm weather today, I used it to siphon the radiator in the Buick to repair a cooling system leak (infamous plastic coolant elbows leaked). After fiddling with it, this made the job a ton easier. It siphoned off the coolant very easily, then dispensed it back in just as easily. I'm sold, this thing rocks.

Anybody have any tips on cleaning it? I'm thinking dish soap and water should get it clean enough to dispense motor oil and ATF with.

IIRC, I used a touch of Dawn on mine for an interior and exterior cleaning after a small mishap following my first extraction.

As I removed the top cover for that cleaning, it seemed like there was a film of grease between it and the tube... I wonder if anyone else may have noticed this on their unit?

Originally Posted By: RnR
IIRC, I used a touch of Dawn on mine for an interior and exterior cleaning after a small mishap following my first extraction.

As I removed the top cover for that cleaning, it seemed like there was a film of grease between it and the tube... I wonder if anyone else may have noticed this on their unit?

Thanks, that confirms what my gut feeling was about cleaning it.

Haven't noticed the grease since mine hasn't been apart yet.

Here is what was suggested to me for cleaning it. After dispensing the fluid from the Mity Vac to a container, dump some Mineral Spirits into it [about a quart] and swirl it around, extract that into a container for proper disposal, the run some Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean through the unit, then clean hot water.

You can skip the Mineral Spirits, and use Super Clean or Simple Green and water, but the procedure mentioned above works best. I called the company and asked. They also stated that Synthetic Oil is no longer an issue with the newer units the parts that were causing the problems have been upgraded.

I did two transmission services with mine and cleaned it with about a pint of Mineral Spirits and Simple Green. It cleaned up very nicely and fast! HTH

Dawn is worth a shot, I might try that next time I use it.

The Dawn worked for cleaning the coolant. There was no coolant left after drawing a few liters of tap water through the unit, then the soap solution, then rinsing well.

The mineral spirits and Simple Green I'll need to remember when doing other fluid changes. Thanks!

No problem! I think I'd skip the Mineral Spirits all together if I was using the 7201 for draining anti-freeze. Dawn should work great, then rinse with fresh water.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No problem! I think I'd skip the Mineral Spirits all together if I was using the 7201 for draining anti-freeze. Dawn should work great, then rinse with fresh water.

It worked as advertised.

Looking forward to using it on my next oil change. Getting down on the ground for the filter only should be much nicer, especially since it looks to be while snow is on the ground.

I bought mine for doing transmission fluid exchanges w/o disconnecting a cooler line. On an older vehicle that could be a problem, it worked perfectly. Come time to drop the tranny pan, I'll extract the fluid then drop the pan. It already paid for itself.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I bought mine for doing transmission fluid exchanges w/o disconnecting a cooler line. On an older vehicle that could be a problem, it worked perfectly. Come time to drop the tranny pan, I'll extract the fluid then drop the pan. It already paid for itself.

Funny, my thinking for getting it mirrored yours. The Honda is a cluster-foxtrot to check/fill ATF on. It's also necessary to jack it up to get the oil drain plug out. The Buick has its PS reservoir located on the back of the engine tucked against the firewall. Another cluster-foxtrot that's driven me up the wall. Both of those are areas where I'm anticipating less hassle in future changes.

I'm currently loving a large syringe obtained at Tractor Supply + 50 cents worth of clear hose to handle that pesky PSF reservoir. A MiniVac 7201 if you will.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RnR
I'm currently loving a large syringe obtained at Tractor Supply + 50 cents worth of clear hose to handle that pesky PSF reservoir. A MiniVac 7201 if you will.
thumbsup2.gif

I tried a syringe, and made a complete mess of it. Most of the fluid was lost transferring it to the pan, as the syringe wouldn't hold suction.

I'll see how it does come springtime. The Buick gets its PSF changed yearly.

Consider a round plastic $store sprayer bottle tucked in next to the firewall to receive the pulled PSF. This minimizes movement and saves frustration. Also the embossing on it helps me to properly gauge replacement fluid volumes easily.

Used it to try changing the Buick's oil tonight. It was a failure at changing oil. Neither small tube made it into the oil pan, so it wasn't doing anything. Trying it on the drained oil in the drain pan for the heck of it with the dipstick tubes on resulted in me getting frustrated when after 2-3 minutes maybe a pint of oil was in the reservoir. More pumping resulted in no further oil collection. Taking off the small dipstick tubes for the main tube made collection go faster, although still very slowly compared to the last use.

The oil was warm, and this thing sucked up water and antifreeze like a champ a few weeks previously. I'll have to clean it out, and see if there's not a clog somewhere.

Kind of frustrating when it doesn't do one of the things it was bought for yet.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Used it to try changing the Buick's oil tonight. It was a failure at changing oil. Neither small tube made it into the oil pan, so it wasn't doing anything. Trying it on the drained oil in the drain pan for the heck of it with the dipstick tubes on resulted in me getting frustrated when after 2-3 minutes maybe a pint of oil was in the reservoir. More pumping resulted in no further oil collection. Taking off the small dipstick tubes for the main tube made collection go faster, although still very slowly compared to the last use.

The oil was warm, and this thing sucked up water and antifreeze like a champ a few weeks previously. I'll have to clean it out, and see if there's not a clog somewhere.

Kind of frustrating when it doesn't do one of the things it was bought for yet.

Man that sucks! I have no intentions of using mine for anything other than ATF and coolant at this point. If your 7201 is still under warranty I'd let them know about your disappointment, it can't hurt. In fact even if the warranty is up maybe the company can assist in resolving your problem. It could be as you said dirty, or maybe some small part needs replacement and they can good will it to you. Just a thought.

It was bought in December, so there's still lots of warranty. I sent Lincoln an email, and am waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, I'm going to clean it and try it again with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back