What grease for garage door opener rail screw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the garage door roller rail grease for years and they are very thick. Recently it is getting very loud and the motor stopped intermittently due to loads getting heavier.

Is this the right grease? or should I try something else?

I use a white grease (not sure if it is actually lithium) for door rails et al.

It doesn't seem high temps so shouldn't be a problem with degradation.

EDIT: I just noticed the mention of "screw" at the end of your title. I still think a white grease would be good.

What does the MFG recommend?

In warm weather, almost any grease will work. As soon as it gets cold though, those screw drives will start to chatter and stall the motor.

I've used Lubriplate Low-Temp Aerospace (something like that) with great success. Even with some of the record cold temps we've had here the last few winters.

Being a huge Schaeffer's fan, I finally scored some #00 grease from them that I'm just dying to try on my screw drive opener.

In summary, use a "light" grease, in San Fran you might get away with a #0. Or a grease that is specifically for cold temps.

try Schaeffers #227 moly chain lube,,great stuff,check with site sponsor on how to get a couple of cans,,or check with the plant sales dept,,,,works in a lot of uses,OR the Pentro 90 also will be fine........BL

Climate: between 45-90F, typical 75-85F (San Francisco)

System Design: Screw driven Genie Garage Door opener with spring loaded wooden door

Frequency of use: 4-8 load/unload cycles per day on average.

Typical?

I guess grease are not lifetime and the last time I put the grease on is when I installed it 8 years ago.

Yep, 13-year old Genie "Blue Max" screw drive here. Aluminum hinged door. Four cycles per day, average.

What do I use? Amsoil's Series 2000 racing grease. Relatively light-bodied, not moly-fortified. Works flawlessly as long as I don't overgrease things. Four dabs down the length of the screw is all that's required.

Overkill? Maybe. But it works!

quote:

I've used Lubriplate Low-Temp Aerospace (something like that) with great success. Even with some of the record cold temps we've had here the last few winters.

The garage door company I work for uses this stuff...works great for screw driven openers!

Take the cap off hold the tube with one hand and your garage door remote in the other, hit the button and have the trollie push the grease tube for you while you slowly squeeze...one pass is about all she'll need.

What about auto wheel bearing grease? The "know it all" from our local part store say it works because it is "multi-purposes", I am not convinced yet.

I don't think I want to take apart the system to remove all the old grease, would carb cleaner like others suggested works?

The manufacture said use only their GLU3 and GLU4, but couldn't find any MSDS or spec on viscosity. The thing I am most concern about is whether it will damage the hinge (plastic that goes on the screw) and its viscosity.

If it's too hard to remove the old grease, then don't obsess over it. But if the grease has turned hard and waxy from getting old, then you should put some effort into cleaning it.

As you described, the operation of the unit is getting rather stiff. I'm the type of person who would probably remove the unit for cleaning "on the bench" before relube. This would make your unit like new.

Auto wheel bearing grease (NLGI 2) may work, but it'd be better to use something lighter, like NLGI 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back