What is the correct size for the grease fittings on a 94 Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '94 Chevy Impala SS has 11 grease fittings.
What is the correct size grease fitting for this car? I am not asking about the straight, 45* or 90* feature, but the thread size. I see in stores 1/4"-28 taper SAE thread and 6mm x 1 Metric threads. What does GM use for
the 94-96 era cars? I managed to pull out a lower ball joint grease fitting with a DIY grease gun that would not release!

Unless somebody can provide the exact size, why not just take the plugs out and match the threads up with what's available at the store?

Because I have only one vehicle and would have to walk 14 miles-one way- to the auto parts store. I don't want to drive around with the grease fitting out allowing dirt in the lower ball joint. On my car, there are a combination of Metric and SAE fastners. Another question is-= why are the threads on the grease fittings tapered?

I think it's a long shot to find somebody here who can provide all the thread sizes of the grease fittings for your vehicle. I still say take all the plugs out.... take inventory of how many different sizes and how many of each you have. Put them all back except for one of each size to take to the store. For the one or two open plugs, I'm sure you can cobble something up to protect the holes.... even a dollop of grease buttered over the hole can act as a temporary barrier for contaminants.

I think that there is one size thread, not 11 different threads for my car. IOW, it is either Metric or SAE. I would think that this forum is the ideal place to find some one who knows the thread size of a 94 GM car. I think the thread size is common to all 94 GM cars and light trucks.

My daughter's 90 Beretta had a bad grease fitting. None of my collection, including SAE and metric fittings, seemed to fit.

Note, older grease fittings were not SAE, but NPT, 1/16'' pipe thread with a taper.

Hummm, the plot thckens. I still don't envy those with rubber plugs in place of grease fittings. You got to be able to lube those fittings cause there isn't such a thing as permanent, never-needs-greasing fittings. Remember the manuf. is guaranteeing only that the car will last 36k or 36 months!

Unless you know that the parts on your car are OEM, this will be a difficult search, and even with OEM parts it may be difficult.
I changed the center tie rod grease fittings on my 1995 Caprices. 1/4-28 is what the new fittings were marked. Problem is I have changed my tie rod ends to Moog parts. I can't tell you want the OEM grease fittings were.
Some of the replacement suspension parts have different threads because the grease fittings are cutting their own threads as they are inserted for the first time. I know the Moog ball joints are that way.
You might have more luck over on the ImpalaSS forum

http://www.impalassforum.com/

Terry

All suspension parts are OEM except the Moog Problem Solver idler arm. I have owned the car since it was new. I know the upper and lower ball joints are OEM.

Sorry Jim, I have no OEM front suspension parts on either of my 9C1s. Wish I could help, but even if you wnated the size for the Moog parts that are on the cars it will be more than a month until I can get either of the cars on a lift.
Terry

If you read my initial post, I said I had 'literally' pulled out the grease fitting with a grease gun that wouldn't release. So I finally figured out that the gr. fitting is still stuck in the gun nozzle. So I fought with it and popped it out. I cannot see any markings on it. I think I will take to a jewelry store to see if they will look at it under their microscope and read the size markings. To be cont.

The threads on the original fitting are not too badly damaged. There are only two threads on the fitting. 9C1, I have heard of the 'wear indicator' feature for the ball joints. I may replace it on the car....I have had problems in the past with other grease guns popping off when I applied pressure on the handle. This new one won't pop off when you pump it, but then when you want it to snap off, it won't release without a struggle. There is a fine line.

I'll be surprised if you find a size on it, but keep us posted.
Are the threads damaged on the fitting, or is the hole larger in the ball joint? If the latter the existing size may be moot.
The OEM ball joints have a method of determining wear based on how far the grease fitting is recessed into the lower surface of the ball joint. To continue to use this feature the replacement grease fitting should be the same dimensions (not just the thread size, but the rest of the architecture of the fitting) as the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back