catalytic converter has a small leak - fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1993 Nissan Altima. Original cat, heat shield (protecting bottom of cat) fell off long time ago.

I noticed that I have a small leak on the cat's exterior casing, and it's rusting from the inside out. JBWeld website says it's not applicable for this type of repair, but I'm wondering if it's worth a shot anyway. It's a very small leak, and the rest of the surrounding area looks fairly solid still.

Any ideas how to patch this up, jbweld or otherwise? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
JB WELD is not rated for exhaust temps...try INFERNO METAL REPAIR part #83009 found it in the exhaust parts/accessories...apply like putty..and then wrap with exhaust tape..add a large stainless worm clamp to keep it from falling /blowing out...should be good till you can get it replaced

My guess would be maybe mig weld a small plate over it if its still working okay.I don't think any compounds will stand the temps of the cat for very long.

Thanks guys for the info and pointing me in the right direction. I would prefer to DIY with a cold weld. I don't have welding tools, and the exhaust place starts at $45. If I were to go that route, I would just get a brand new cat.

I am probably going to buy this cold weld repair kit, or an equivalent.

I used that product after I developed an exhaust leak at the y-pipe to manifold connection after driving to Vegas from San Diego. The y-pipe deformed from excessive heat. It work well as a temporary repair, but started leaking again after arriving back in San Diego. I would not expect a long term fix with this product. I agree with welding it up, or welding a plate over it. Some cats come with a small hole to allow condensed water to escape, so it might not be anything to worry about.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I used that product after I developed an exhaust leak at the y-pipe to manifold connection after driving to Vegas from San Diego.

I ordered the kit. I was reading on different forums a mixed bag of success and non-success. A lot of the honda cracked block guys were trying it - some successful, some not. Same with some truck guys.

I'll give it a go and see what's up. While I'm under there, I'm gonna re-coat it with high heat rustoleum. The other option is a new cat, which would cost me $100 for a direct fit (which I could probably do myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back