Ford V10 oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a smallish RV with a Ford V10 under the hood. The oil filler cap states 5w-20 oil is recommended, however this seems pretty thin to me for such a hard working engine. I was thinking of going with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, any thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: Tribeca
I was thinking of going with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, any thoughts on this?

I think it's a good thought.

This has been Ford's recommendation for these V-10s and all of the Ford V-8 trucks for years. They all seem to like the 5W20. Some have used other weights with no ill effects. Let's see what an actual V-10 owner has to say.

5W-20 or 0W-20.

Engine viscosity requirements are not determined on how hard we perceive they will be working. Besides most all conventional 5W-30's quickly shear to the SAE 20 range.....and certainly don't show any more wear for it....so even more reason to choose a 20.

Modulars don't typically shear oil much. I would prefer a 3.1 cP HTHS 5W-30 over a 2.6 cP HTHS 5W-20 in a hard working V10 personally.

use the 5w20 it flows faster and gets into all the small spaces faster you will also notice more power and better gas mileage although it is very very slight..
The engine was designed for 5w20 so use it because it works and works well...When it comes to motor oil thin is in..

I'm pretty sure Ford done a whole heap of research when selecting, or pushing the 5w-20. Ford also makes a great 5w-20 semi-synthetic that works really great for a even greater price at your local walmart in the convenient 5 quart jugs.. Ford just happens to make a darn good oil filter as well which is available at walmart again for a darn good price, couple the outstanding oil (Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20) with the Motorcraft oil filter, and the R&D, that's a whole lot going for Ford, and their recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Tribeca
I just bought a smallish RV with a Ford V10 under the hood. The oil filler cap states 5w-20 oil is recommended, however this seems pretty thin to me for such a hard working engine. I was thinking of going with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, any thoughts on this?

The engine would be "hard working" if it was small for the job. A V10 is plenty big but maybe the RV is a lot of work?

Ford tests the 5w20 in very harsh conditions. Perhaps if you were pulling that thing up a steep hill in 100 degree weather you'd be reaching the limits of 5w20 but otherwise use it with confidence.

Our work truck has that V10. It gets trashed everyday. Who knows what the maintenance department uses. Last time I checked it had 250K. Once a few years ago I looked under cap it was spotless....must be the bitog in me.

First, I would ask, are there any special conditions listed in the owners manual that would supersede the filler cap?

I have a foot in both camps here.

1) The likelihood is that the 5W20 will be fine. Why? Because Ford has done a lot of durability testing and stands behind it. For the most part, those of us who object are doing so based on "theory." There is little evidence of failures or problems using the 5W20 in most situations.

2) On the other hand, heavy loads generate higher oil temps. If that oil temp exceeds 212F by much, that oil is running out of grade (thinner). For short spurts, or just a little over, that isn't much of an issue, but if the RV runs at a high oil temp most of the time, that's when a thicker oil might be useful. I agree that many 5W30s shear down to 30s, which is why I would probably run a more robust 10W30 if I was going to run a 30 grade.

But still, if the owner doesn't know any of the oil temp parameters, it's a shot in the dark. If he wants to know, I would suggest either a ScanGauge or an Edge Evolution (Google them). Both plug into the OBDII port and will read out many useful engine parameters, including oil temp (double check the ScanGauge but I know the Edge does). The Edge, in addition, offers some custom tuning features, trans shift points, firmness, etc, as well as three performance levels, one of which is a "Tow" mode (which would be the only one I would use in the RV.

Anyway, once you get a read on oil temps, you can make a better viscosity choice.

Last edited:
I had a 2002 Winnebago 31 foot class c motorhome with the V10 that I bought new. We used it for 2 yrs and 25k miles pulling an 18 ft enclosed car hauler full of racing karts. This was before my BITOG days and I used what it was spec's for...5W20. I did use M1 5W20 however. That big V10 pulled great, about 16k pounds total, and ran great on 5W20. I never noticed any kind of overheating or consumption problems etc on the thin oil. I never did a UOA so who knows?
cool.gif

Assuming it will see some duty on hilly and or mountainous roads where you'll be running a high throttle opening for some periods of time, I'd go with the Germain Castroil 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40...

There's another thread on here where the poster shows a Ford service bulletin saying it's OK to use a 10W-40 oil in 4.6s that have valve train tick, due to low oil pressure when using 5W-20 oils... 5W-30 surely isn't going to damage anything...

My '99 V10 was originally spec'd for a 30w. That's what I use. I've used some 20w but have gone back to 30w. I've even used the old M1 TSUV 40w. Man, did that make it feel like it was dipped in molasses! Just feels smoothest with a 30w.

I've got 98k miles on mine. Doesn't smoke, doesn't use oil. Still pulls hard. Mileage sucks, though, no matter what's in it.

There is an article floating around somewhere about Ford testing done with 5W20 oil. I would not hesitate to use the spec'd 5W20 oil in that rig. I wish I could find the link to the testing it was quite impressive and done in extreme heat while towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back