Oil for 71 honda CB450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok soon enough im gonna need to start feeding my cafe project oil
smile.gif
The cb450 engines are known to have problems with the valve train, primarily wearing out the hard facing on the cam followers, the cams also have a tendancy to get wiped out. i don't know what was originally recomended for this bike weight wise?? Im thinking Rotella Dino 15w-40 would be a safe bet. but am looking for suggestions, also if anyone thinks any additives would help prevent engine problems?

Originally Posted By: Chris_H
Ok soon enough im gonna need to start feeding my cafe project oil
smile.gif
The cb450 engines are known to have problems with the valve train, primarily wearing out the hard facing on the cam followers, the cams also have a tendancy to get wiped out. i don't know what was originally recomended for this bike weight wise?? Im thinking Rotella Dino 15w-40 would be a safe bet. but am looking for suggestions, also if anyone thinks any additives would help prevent engine problems?

Have you tried to canvas other forums that may share information on that particular engine? Considering the historical significance of the early Honda 450, there has to be plenty of info out there on it. Might be worth a try.

In the interim, your choice to use SRT 15W40 is probably as good as any.

I own a 75 Honda CB 500 Twin, which is a bored and stroked 450, and I run Shell 5W-40 synthetic in the crankcase.

But mine is no cafe racer...just a sweet but temperamental street bike. Fun to drive and fast with that great Honda, vintage look.

I would think the Shell 15-40 would be fine.

It's downright humorous to hear old CB/CL 450's referred to as "fast"!

But they do need some great oil. We run Rotella in our old bikes with great results in 5w-40 grade.

Last edited:
The standard 'oil' for all Japanese four strokes, before they started selling their own branded 'motorcycle oil' was plain old automotive 10W-40.

I run Rotella in one of my bikes and it's been a good oil.
I started out with the dino 15w-40, then the last 2 years it's been the 5w-40 synthetic. No wet clutch issues with it either. Most of the fellas I ride with now use Rotella. Its good stuff.
I run Amsoil in the Harley - it cost a good bit more than Rotella, and its a 20w-50

Another vote for Rotella. I personally prefer (and run) T6, but any of the Rotella flavors will provide more than adequate protection for that engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It's downright humorous to hear old CB/CL 450's referred to as "fast"!

But they do need some great oil. We run Rotella in our old bikes with great results in 5w-40 grade.

And just why is it humorous? Have you ever driven one? The old 450s would turn 13 second 1/4 mile times and keep up, if not out run, Triumph and BSA 650s of the day.

I once rode a 71 CL 450 Honda that belonged to a friend at had the speedometer pegged. This is fast to me!

The 500 will run 13 second 1/4 mile times also.

I guess you weren't there when I used to run 11's with my 305 Yamadog!

Put your hackles down, I love the old scooters. Besides you're a lot braver than me to run one at top end!

I won't run one at top end anymore! Too old for that and as I remember, quite a stupid move. But hey, when we young, we did some stupid things! At least I did!

My point was that the old 450s were great machines, speed wise, and could keep up with the bigger machines, even though the points and valves were a pain to set!

I would recommend any of the Diesel truck lubricants, XD3, Delo 400 my personal choice Shell Rotella T. These oils should have the extra antiwear package that you will need for your valve train.

The first real bike I ever owned was a new 1970 Honda CL350 that redlined at, I think, 10,500 RPMs. Back then it seemed like quite a fast machine, and that many RPMS was just unheard of for a four stroke.

I run Delvac 15-40 in my current bike and it seems to be a very good oil for it. I'd either run Delvac, Delo, or any flavor of Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back