Are Walker Oxygen sensors any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '99 Maxima with 156,000 miles. The check engine light has been on for a while but has no effect on performance or fuel consumption. In MD, we need to go through emissions every two years. In order for me to pass, I need to fix this problem. So I had the car scanned and it shows up as P0138: Bank 1 Sensor 2, P0158 & P0159: Bank 2 Sensor 2.

I know oxygensensors.com carries this brand but Amazon sells these for less. Would I be ok with Walker Universal Sensors or is it better to get a direct oem fitment with a plug at the end. With these I'm saving $73 versus going with the OEM Direct replacement from Walker. I know Denso, NTK/NGK and OEM are good but they cost more than this variant. I was told Walker sensors are re-packaged Denso and NGK sensors with Walker's own wiring that they put on themselves.

I'm looking at the Walker part # 250-24000 from Amazon for $29.99 shipped for each.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know who makes them but i have used them without any problem in an Infiniti M35 and Ford 5.4.,both worked well with no CEL after almost a year.

The connectors and wires match OEM perfectly in color fit and length.
I would buy them again for sure.

Did you buy the direct replacement Walker's with the plug at the end or the Universal ones where you had to re-use the old connector/plug?

Yep, lots of people don't get the same gas mileage with a universal O2 sensor that just happens to fit verses the direct replacement for your particular engine.

Junk. Use OEM or bosch, especially if the vehicle is a toyota or honda. These vehicles seem the most sensitive to 02 sensors. I see warranty items in my shop for these sensors quite often.

Last edited:
Quote:
bosch
Lots of cases with failed Bosch O2 sensors have been posted here especially the universals.
There are many good aftermarket O2 sensors on the market,NGK,Denso,Standard to name just a few.

Getting a truly defective unit is very rare,when then it probably happens a short time after install and its generally the heater element that fails.Multiple O2 failure is usually a sign of other issues.

In my experience, none of the universals very well work in OBDII cars. Regardless of brand.
Your results may vary.

many times that is what the code is for when scanned. heater circuit malfunction. And the universals were not the ones i was referring to, i was referring to application specific.

Last edited:
The Walker sensor I installed in a '97 Civic Del Sol worked fine. I think the Walker sensor was made by Denso. It was over $150 cheaper than the dealer sensor.

I know this isn't the question you asked, but are you sure it's the O2 sensors and not something else? It sounds a little fishy that the downstream sensors on both banks went out at the same time.

Since these are secondary sensors, your mileage is not going to be affected with them.

Be prepared to get P0420 and P0430 code once you replace the secondary sensors if your converters are not working 100%. Your car had not yet run the cat converter test because of the existing sensor codes.

Just don't blame the new sensors if and when you get P0420/P0430 code *after* putting the new secondary sensors.

Tip: DON'T reset the code but rather just drive it normally for few days. You might get lucky and the CEL will go (at least for a while) if the car had previously completed your cat converter monitor tests and then your secondary sensors went.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Since these are secondary sensors, your mileage is not going to be affected with them.

Be prepared to get P0420 and P0430 code once you replace the secondary sensors if your converters are not working 100%. Your car had not yet run the cat converter test because of the existing sensor codes.

Just don't blame the new sensors if and when you get P0420/P0430 code *after* putting the new secondary sensors.

Tip: DON'T reset the code but rather just drive it normally for few days. You might get lucky and the CEL will go (at least for a while) if the car had previously completed your cat converter monitor tests and then your secondary sensors went.

- Vikas

I wouldn't be surprised if I get new codes once the sensors start functioning. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back