'10 Dodge Journey 3.5 V6 specifies 10W-30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIL came over with his new '10 Dodge Journey SXT with the 3.5 liter V6. To my surprise, the oil cap says 10W-30. I thought that 10W-30 had been superseded by 5W-30 years, if not decades ago on most US and asian cars.

I didn't peek into the owner's manual and I understand that this particular V6 is getting long in the tooth but I question the use of 10W oil in Canada with everybody migrating toward 5W-20.

Any particular reason for doing so?

Last edited:
Put 10w-30 in it and the engine will probably last wayyyyy longer than the owner wants it to.

Oh, and I would guess that the owners manual has one of those charts that shows what weights of oil you can use at various temperatures. You can toss 0w/5w/10w-whatever in it based on temperature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Minou
BIL came over with his new '10 Dodge Journey SXT with the 3.5 liter V6. To my surprise, the oil cap says 10W-30. I thought that 10W-30 had been superseded by 5W-30 years, if not decades ago on most US and asian cars.

I didn't peek into the owner's manual and I understand that this particular V6 is getting long in the tooth but I question the use of 10W oil in Canada with everybody migrating toward 5W-20.

Montreal and Florida?! Nice combo
grin2.gif

Check the viscosity chart in the manual. As mentioned above I suspect 5w30 will be recommend during subzero temps, which means you could also go with an 0w30.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: Minou

Montreal and Florida?! Nice combo
grin2.gif

Check the viscosity chart in the manual. As mentioned above I suspect 5w30 will be recommend during subzero temps, which means you could also go with an 0w30.

Yeah, getting ready for retirement. Can't wait to become a full fledge snowbird!

Personnaly, I'd just toss 5w-30 in it if it was my car but I'm just curious of the 10w-30 recommendation.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Personnaly, I'd just toss 5w-30 in it if it was my car but I'm just curious of the 10w-30 recommendation.

Excess stock of old oil fill caps?
laugh.gif

10w30...makes you wonder about these light oils? Are they strictly CAFE? I know some vehicles are fine with them but think how long we used 10w30. It sure has a LOT of miles behind it.

My in-laws' Chrysler 300 (`2007) v6 specifies 10w-30 on the fill cap. I was surprised to see that as well.

It's the cheapest oil on the market, so he can enjoy that. As someone else pointed out, 5w-30 will do very well also.

10W-30 is the correct weight for that engine and is the year round( i.e. temps )weight called for.

Originally Posted By: Page 411 2010 Journey Owner's Manual

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) – 3.5L Engine
SAE 10W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures.

With that said a 5W-30 in winter would certainly do no harm.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Excess stock of old oil fill caps?
laugh.gif

I was thinking the exact same thing. No Chrysler bashing from me, I own a Jeep. Having said that, seeing they left the Liberty w/o a tranny dipstick, and still use copper spark plugs it wouldn't surprise me if they had some old oil fill caps laying around that fit, and decided to use them up. JMO

If I were using a dino oil I'd use 5W30, synthetic 0W30.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Page 411 2010 Journey Owner's Manual

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) – 3.5L Engine
SAE 10W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures.

Since Valvoline 5w-30 tested best in cold cranking viscosity for that grade I would assume their other grades are good cold temp performers, too. Tell BIL to try Valvoline.

If the engine specifies 10W-30 for all temps, use that.

It's a brand-new vehicle - do yo REALLY want to fight with the dealership for warranty work if they deny it b/c you used the 'wrong' oil?

Remeber, this is Chrysler - they are still hurting - anything they can do to not pay-up on warranty work, they will do!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If the engine specifies 10W-30 for all temps, use that.

It's a brand-new vehicle - do yo REALLY want to fight with the dealership for warranty work if they deny it b/c you used the 'wrong' oil?

Remeber, this is Chrysler - they are still hurting - anything they can do to not pay-up on warranty work, they will do!

And I bet that all Chrysler dealers up here are using bulk dino 5W-30...

All of Chrysler's 3.5L/4.0L SOHC V-6 engines call for 10W-30 oil. It's been discussed before; nobody quite knows the reason. Some suspect the engine is hard on oil and will shear a "lesser" oil down unacceptably fast. I don't know. Most of Chrysler's fleet has been switched to 5W-20, if not 5W-30, so it's significant to me that they do still specify 10W-30 for this engine. I'd use it with full confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back