Recommend an oil for a 2005 Xterra (VQ40DE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just acquired a 2005 Nissan Xterra with 66,000 miles. I'll be doing my first oil change within the next week or so and could use a recommendation for what oil to use. I've read that the VQ40DE tends to like a "thicker" 30 weight oil or even a 40 weight. I'm considering a 40 weight as the oil pressure at hot idle is a little on the low side, but still well within the "normal" range on the gauge. I'd also be interested to know which oils are "thicker" than others.

I would be interested to hear suggestions for conventional, blends and full synthetics. I'd like to limit the discussion to oils I can get off the shelf at chain stores.

I also plan to use Wix filters unless there's a good reason to use something else.

Thanks in advance.

Check the owner's manual and use a weight in the range they recommend. Brand is whatever floats your boat. I've been a Valvoline fan for years. But I use Castrol in the 64 Spitfire.

and I only use Wix filters.

Last edited:
The manual specifies 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40 depending on climate. It rarely gets into the single digits where I live-normal winter lows are in the teens.

I was hoping to get some input on a "thick" 30 weight or 40 weight that produces good results in Nissan VQ motors.

My buddy is very happy with Rotella T6 5w40 in his pathfinder. It isnt the same engine though. Its a VG33DE V6, but he says it has never sounded so good.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
My buddy is very happy with Rotella T6 5w40 in his pathfinder. It isnt the same engine though. Its a VG33DE V6, but he says it has never sounded so good.

This is a good choice, and MUCH cheaper than Syntec 0w30. Definitely easier to find. I have had a hard time finding a store that carries it in my area, AutoZone in particular. Rotella 5w40 is a very good deal at many places esp. Wallymart.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
After reading this report: FShell 5W-30, 7000 miles, '06 Nissan Frontier V-6 I've been thinking about just running something like PYB in my VQ40DE.

Been using PP 5w30 so far. Change it every 6 months and it usually only has a few thousand miles on it.

That sounds good too. Don't make it too complicated for yourself. Really, just use the guidelines your manual calls for and recommended OCI's you will have a long lasting engine. Sounds like you have a good formula already, PP is one of the best oils.

Originally Posted By: FourPointOh
Just so I'm clear-is the German Castrol just 0W-30 Castrol Syntec?

Yes only 0w-30 is the GC, and its a thick 30w, which will be a great oil for your engine.

Pepboys regularly has 5 qt deals with various high quality filters for under $30.

Any of the filters they include in that deal would work great as well. They usually do Purolator Pureones or K&N IIRC with that deal.

Originally Posted By: FourPointOh
Just so I'm clear-is the German Castrol just 0W-30 Castrol Syntec?

Yep, it works great in VQ engines.. I used it almost exclusively in my dads Maxima for about 5 years straight. I have recently switched it to Pennz Platinum due to cost.

Anyways GC is fairly thick, which seems to be what the VQ's like. The fact it lists 10w40 means to me that GC would be a great choice.

FourPointsOH,

I'd check the manual for your region/climate and if Nissan's book alows I'd just stick with a 5W-30 oil of your choosing. Going any thicker would mean more gas usage and since it's going up I'm sure that' been on your mind too. Going to a synthetic will give you better MPG but not by much according to the AAA.

Durango

I could care less about AAA or what Nissan says. I also wouldn't base my oil weight decision on an OE dash idiot fake oil pressure gauge.

Michigan location: Stick with a full synthetic and with the 0w or 5w prefix. You want oil flowing up to the cams and to the timing chain ASAP.

From the local stores:
Castrol Syntec 0w30 or Mobil1 0w40 are easy choices.
Your other Euro oils, like M1 ESP, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Euro, Valvoline Synpower MST,... are usually thick for their bottle label. Mobil1 HM & EP, and Valvoline Maxlife FullSynthetic, are on the thicker side too for 5w30's.

Any 5w40 would work well.

And, since dash factory oil pressure gauge is a joke, even the thin 5w30/10w30's from Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Edge or Syntec, Valvoline Synpower, QuakerState... are great choices.

You also have the boutique oils. Any synth from RoyalPurple, Redline, Amsoil, Motul...will serve you well.

Don't neglect your 'ends, x-case, PSF, transmission, coolant... by 60k, all are due for complete exchanges

I went with Mobil 1 0W-40 because AAP was running a special-5 quarts and an M1 filter for $32 (and the local AZs didn't have the German Castrol).

How long should I run this stuff to start? Obviously a UOA will be necessary to know for sure how long it's good for, but what would be a good starting point OCI?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back