IS THIS NORMAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
OKAY SO ive been trying to clean up my severly sludged 90 s15 jimmy 4.3 ive done like 4 200 mile changes this last change stayed in 3 months 900 miles oil was pretty dark i used 4 qts tech 1540 half qt tech 5-30 and 16 ozs mmo well oil came out ok but filter has a remote mount for it on driver side was full of what looked like black nasty thick oil but drain oil was cleaner filter was a fram toughgaurd 3980 what gives

Probably normal as a result of the clean-up process going on. Make sure you don't let the filter load up too much.

^I second the frequent filter changes but keeping the oil in a bit longer.

How bad is the sludge?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
You could now probably run the oil longer, just change filters say every 200-500 miles.

I third this LOL. Your filter is getting loaded up still, you dont want it to go into bypass so keep doing what you are doing (sounds like it is working) and change out the filter like spasm3 said. I had to add this if you continue to use 15W40, make sure you are cutting it with the MMO. Just had to say that ...you sound like you know what you are doing. sorry

Last edited:
im not a fan of changing filter/not oil/or vise versa, id say if its that bad, do a 1k-1500 oci

yeah i think thats what ill keep on doing this thing actually went almost 50000 miles and 7 yrs on last oil change so im lucky it even runs

no im going to do that in spring though i did take off oil filler tube rubbed my finger around valve cover area and probaly dug out quarter inch of sludge thats how i knew severly gunked up wish i knew this before i bought believe it or not runs ok ticks a little at startup and smokes a bit to but no lower end knock says alot about the 4.3

Originally Posted By: jc1990
yeah i think thats what ill keep on doing this thing actually went almost 50000 miles and 7 yrs on last oil change so im lucky it even runs

That is one heck of an extended drain. Was that your doing or someone else's genius move?

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
im not a fan of changing filter/not oil/or vise versa, id say if its that bad, do a 1k-1500 oci

Why not? The filter is clearly getting loaded up before the oil gets too nasty. I think he's doing it OK. Sorta a judgement call based on how the oil looks vs. how the filter looks.

FWIW, when all is said and done the oil pump may be pretty well trashed on that 4.3. Remember the pump has to pump dirty oil, so all that gritty sludge that is in the filter has already gone through the pump. If it were mine, I'd drop the pan and pull the valve covers after this clean-up cycle, remove the remaining sludge manually, and also install a new oil pump as a precaution while the pan's off anyway.

no this was not me that neglected it was the lying pos i bought it from i have replaced every single thing on this truck wish i never bought it but no according to the gauge it holds 30lbs pressure at idle when cold and about 50 when driving on highway which is better than when i got it so im hopeful as far as that goes im just doing 1000 mile changes for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back