Nissan Ester 5W30 - '08 Infiniti G37, 5kmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due respect to the OP, just can't see any reason to run the misnomered Nissan Ester oil. My understanding, an overpriced dino oil with a very small percentage of Ester. As my son now owns a G37, the last time I checked NEO, was ~$11-12 a qt. For what?

Looking first at PP for his G37.

I have an '09 Nissan 370Z with the VQ37 engine. I drained the factory oil & filter at about 1250 miles and refilled with the Nissan 5W-30 Ester oil. I ran that until about 5K miles and switched to Redline 5W-30 and had a pretty good UOA at 10K miles with the Redline. My plan is to stick with the Redline and 5K OCI's unless the next analysis at 15K miles shows a bad trend which I doubt will happen.
The Nissan oil runs over $14 per quart with the tax in CA, I can get a case of Redline delivered to my front door for a few cents less than $10 per quart. After seeing the UOA on the Ester oil I think anyone would be crazy to spend 40% more than Redline let alone how much more it is than another good oil like PP for those who want synthetic at a reasonable cost.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Due respect to the OP

Always appreciate *respeckt!* /Ali-G Voice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
just can't see any reason to run the misnomered Nissan Ester oil. My understanding, an overpriced dino oil with a very small percentage of Ester. As my son now owns a G37, the last time I checked NEO, was ~$11-12 a qt. For what?

Looking first at PP for his G37.

I know UOAs aren't the end-all, be-all. But to me, if I can use a cheaper, fully synthetic oil, and see less metal in my UOAs, it just seems to 'make sense' to do so. I mean, my user's manual specifies 5W-30 only, so I might as well find an oil that doesn't shear down in only 1.5-5.0k mi.

There has *got* to be more to this story. I really wish we could get some serious big-brain nissan engineers in on this to maybe explain why we VQ37HR folks should use this ester oil. My little brain hasn't seen any good reasons yet
frown.gif
Other than the recommendation from a TSB, I guess.

Last edited:
Quote:
...But to me, if I can use a cheaper, fully synthetic oil, and see less metal in my UOAs, it just seems to 'make sense' to do so....
Agreed, and that's my point. Though for me the UOA would be less of a priority.

As for the Nissan NEO reasoning. My reading says it's "supposed" to quiet a noisy VQ37HR engine, when that occurs. Doubt you'll find the scientific explanation from Nissan of 'how' it does, or is "supposed" to do that.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Try calling Nissan?

That sounds like a killer move in some card game. I CALL NISSAN! YEAH!

I am on my 2nd fill of PU 5W-30 in my '09 G37. It was changed at 3750 with PP 5W-30, then PU at 7500, and PU again at 12,000. I will be sampling it before the next change at about 16,000 and will post the results. Depending on the results, I plan on increasing my interval up to the allowable 7500. I have been watching your samples with interest and that steered me away from the Nissan oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back