Synthetic oil clean better than engine flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what would be the point to doing an engine flush if every new synthetic says it'll clean out the engine on it's own.

Or are the flushes only for those who have actually had sludge or clogged engines/oil screens?

Just wondering because a flush seems like it could save money over going full synthetic, but at the same time, maybe it would be safer to get the same result from using synthetic.

Just wondering what the gurus and gear heads think.

I think Synthetic is safer too.

It has been discussed if sludge-cleaning needs to happen, in all but the worst applications.

Some oils (Syn Blends, like MaxLife) SEAL well whereas synthetic oils like M1, PP, etc. MIGHT -MIGHT- clean away something that was hiding a leak. MaxLife also was a GM 4718M Oil.

So, a few viewpoints on this.

I did an engine flush on an engine and a few months later it dropped a valve. Was it related? .. Possibly. It got worse and worse.. oil did not look right after flush. Our theory is it ate a hole in a HG, the solvent.

Synthetic oil will clean an engine just much slower then an engine flush. The advantage of using synthetic is a slow clean that will probably not dislodge something that could damage the engine.

Even if the synthetic cleans away something that was hiding a leak the seal will start to get conditioned and will slow down eventually.

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
i use mobil clean 5k as my flush

+1...except I use Mobil 1 5w20EP...it does a gentle job of cleaning.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
check out my wifes fill hole

Ha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hisilver

Ha.

Needs a Flush!
shocked.gif

If you are switching an older car to a long drain synthetic the first time, it is certainly worthwhile to use a good flush.
If you don't use a flush, watch for sudden increase in oil consumption. If that occurs, change the filter and top off.
If the engine is extremely dirty, and you don't use a flush, you may have to change the oil early.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

Ha.

Needs a Flush!
shocked.gif

Before or after the lube?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

Ha.

Needs a Flush!
shocked.gif

Before or after the lube?

Depends. How well has it been maintained?

*OP: Your Wife is a -CAR- right?

27.gif

Originally Posted By: J_Sap
Synthetic oil will clean an engine just much slower then an engine flush. The advantage of using synthetic is a slow clean that will probably not dislodge something that could damage the engine.

Even if the synthetic cleans away something that was hiding a leak the seal will start to get conditioned and will slow down eventually.

+1 I totally agree with this statement. this is the way to go on all but the most seriously neglected engines. Even then solvents should be used very carefully and cautiously.

If you do more frequent oil changes in the earlier part of your vehicle life, you wouldn't have to worry about 'flushing' your engine. Don't do these longer oil changes.

I would not use a flush. you want to remove any sludge slowly. if you break sludge up quick you might release large wads of goo. This can plug oil pickups, oil filters, valve guides etc. i would use m1 high mileage oil, they state its for cleaning, and i would change filters often.

oil changes based on type of driving stop start, slow moving city driving, idling, snow, towing should be taken into account.

Mobil on its site states that when switching brands for the 1st oil change do it at half your usual OCI or half your usual extreme condition.

I remember reading Amsoil said when changing brands or not using a flush every 1000 miles change the oil filter & top up until the usual OCI was completed.

Not changing the filter was often more the problem as the oil filter could go bypass mode without filtering the oil as it was clogged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back