VOLVO XC90 D5 ATF question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I have a VOLVO XC90 D5 AWD automatic, MY2007.

It has Aisin Warner TF-80SC AWD transmission (6 gears Geartronic).

The car has approx. 48000 miles so far. I have no problem with the transmission (!), and I really love the car, and would like to use it for a long time! I use it in regular mode (or to be true in grandpa style...
smile.gif
), and I really take care of it.

Because the Internet is full of the scary "failed transmission stories of the XC90", at approx. 40000 miles I let the transmission oil be changed at my official VOLVO service.

Because VOLVO has now a contract with Shell, they used the Shell Donax TX oil (Shell LubeMatch writes this is the right ATF for my car, too!).

Now I red on the net, that the official ATF criteria for the Aisin TF-80SC is JWS 3309! But the Donax TX is a Dexron III / Mercon oil! :(((

I asked my dealer (with which i have a very good relationship) if my transmission has a filter, and they sad no, it doesn't has and therefore there is no filter to be replaced.

Now I'm worried. Here are my questions:

I'm a totally lay, but if i look at the Castrol Import M-V ATF / MOBIL ATF 3309 / Shell Donax TX / AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid specifications, they are quite similar to me. But on this site i can read Aisin trannies are picky, and I must avoid Dexron III oils, and must use only JWS 3309 oils. On top of that I red here as well, that I must avoid mixing the two type of oils, because it will damage my transmission (because of the interaction of the components of the two oils)! :(((

Now what can I do???

- should i continue to use in the future this Shell Donax TX oil only, and leave all my worries behind (changing it regularly of course), or
- should i change the ATF to JWS 3309 immediately (i would choose the Mobil oil, i think)?

If i should change the oil, how can i let the oil be replaced without mixing the two oils???
Should i let my transmission take out, take apart (oh
frown.gif
), washing this Shell oil totally out and fill it up with the Mobil ATF oil?

Is there a filter in this transmission or is there not?

Thank You very much for Your help in advance, and sorry for my bad English!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!!!

Most ATF specs look almost identical. Major difference between them is friction modifiers and base they use. I wouldn't worry too much what ATF dealer used. If Donax TX is listed as a correct application then you should not have a problem. Main thing to look for is how the car shifts after the ATF change. If you haven't noticed a significant difference (maybe a little smoother and quieter) then you should be OK. If shifts became harder, you hear transmission growl or slip then it's a problem.

I assume that you have not noticed negative effect after the change - you should be fine then. If you keep your ATF changes every 40k miles it should last you a very long time.

Last edited:
Dear unixguru,

thank You for the kind welcome, and your quick reply!
smile.gif

I spoke with 3 independent automatic transmission service here (big names with 12-17 years of experience!!!), and all of them stated the followings:
- there is a filter inside the transmission, but it's no need to replace it. The magnets inside the tranny collect the small amount of steel debris. If it would depend on the filter, I could drive 1000000 miles with it...
- changing the oil is a clever think, highly recommended,
- these oils are almost identical, and the transmission is NOT so picky, as it was stated here! It could run with Dexron II oils as well without any problem,
- this transmission is not a long lasting one, after 70.000-90.000 miles it could go wrong at any time (as a bad construction) - it's good to keep in mind, that this services see only the problematic ones, not the more durable pieces...

So they told me, that it's good to change the oil every 38.000 miles, but i can't do lot more to keep it alive...

One of the services told me about a new method: they can wash through the transmission in one day, without removing and taking apart it:

http://www.automatikoelwechselsystem.de/automatikoelwechselsystem.html

Sorry, it's german. The method called Tim-Eckart Methode. I think it's worth to see the pictures (and the videos) only as well...

So thank You for your reply!

Any other reply and opinion are very welcome as well!
smile.gif

With kind regards,
VolvoXCFan

VOLVO for Life!
smile.gif

This looks interesting, and it is similar to a T-tech service that you can get at any quick lube in north america.

However, with a T-tech service, the car is running and the torque converter is pumping fluid (rather than in this method in which the fluid is being pumped through the TC.

With the T-tech, and a normal cooler line disconnect with pump and refill, you can idle the car in different gears (park, drive, neutral, reverse) which presumably opens and closes different hydraulic circuits/solenoids allowin all the passages to be pumped through with new fluid.

I can't read german so it's not clear whether this is part of the process.

Hi!

I didn't have enough time to look through the german site, but I got the official procedure description from my official VOLVO service for the change of the transmission oil. It looks quite similar as You described, looks quite profound:

"- Fill with 4l of oil. Use transmission fluid. Refer to: Lubrication transmission
- Apply the parking brake. Move the gear selector lever to position P.
- Start and run the engine at idle.
- Shift through all the positions between P and D on the gear selector. Stop for 2 seconds per position. Switch off when air bubbles are visible in the hose.
- Fill with 2 liters of oil. Start the engine again and allow it to idle. Switch off when air bubbles are visible in the hose.
- Fill with 2 liters of oil again. Start the engine and allow it to idle. Switch off when air bubbles are visible in the hose.
- Install return hose to transmission and oil cooler.
- Remove the integrated level plug.
- Top up with oil until it starts to run out of the transmission.
- Install the level plug by hand.
- Check the oil level. Oil level, checking
- Reset the counter when replacing the transmission. Refer to: Resetting the counter for Transmission oil, change"

According this method and all of the expert's opinion, I'm feeling reassured. My official service knows what they used and they keeping the official recommendations for sure...

The failed transmissions are most likely the old GM 4 speed that could not take the torque and weight from the XC90 with the T6 engine.

Shell codeveloped the 3403-M115 (Shell Donax TX, MB 236.10) spec with MB for the NAG1 722.6 transmission used in Mercedes and Porsche.
Shell ATF 3403-M115 are made with Shell's XHVI base oil.

And like Unixguru said if you feel no shift shock or have torque converter shudder you should be fine.
My only concern would be friction material comparability.

Maybe unDummy can chip in.

Hi!

Thanks for the posts and for your help!
smile.gif

I kindly ask: why is the location interesting in this case? The same transmission, isn't it?
wink.gif

We have here everything as well. If You say I should get the Mobil ATF 3309 or the Castrol Transmax E oil, I can buy it for next time...

I know, i should have asked for the JWS 3309 oil, but i was careless before the oil change...

I have at the moment no problems with the transmission (I drove 8700 miles after the oil change!).

My only question is for the future: should i stay at Shell Donax or should I change to one of the JWS 3309 oil (as it is in the user's guide)?
The user's guide writes i must avoid mixing the oils, but is this rule applicable if i let the transmission totally wash through abundantly at the next oil change with the new type of oil? What do You think?

Thank You very much!
smile.gif

No, it isn't necessarily the same transmission. It could have TCU/AT programming differences, and even internal material differences. If they want you to use Dexron/Mercon fluid, then there was no need for the friction modifiers of the 3309 fluid.
Or, the Donax might be blended locally with an equivalent friction modifier(for JASO specs) even though only labeled a Dexron/Mercon fluid.

We don't have 'everything here as well'. No Transmax, JWS3309, or Donax at the local auto part stores around me.
Bottle labels and supply are not the same around the world. Use what is available to you locally equivalent or better than what is required.

If the Donax is the full-synthetic Dex/Merc, and your shift quality is excellent, then I would use it over the mineral JWS3309. The Transmax-E looks like another synthetic option.

Dear unDummy,

thank You very much for your detailed answer, i understand and appreciate it!
smile.gif

My next step is to talk with my favorite local dealer :), what kind of oil they exactly used, because i know at the moment only what stands on the bill (and it doesn't look like the same for me what VOLVO's on-line system advise - interesting)...

Last edited:
Hi!

I spoke with my service. I got the Shell Donax, but - as my service said - the lifetime of the transmission doesn't depend on the possibly minor difference between these oils. For life some luck is also needed...
smile.gif

But changing the oil in the transmission is a very clever thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back