Review: 1/2" Drive HF Electric Impact Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when I thought I had sworn off all HF stuff...

I was helping my friend replace both CV axles on his '92 Camry. My buddy saw this on sale at HF for $34.99 and picked one up. After using it for the entire job, I was so impressed with it that I went and bought one for myself. I paid $34.99 + $9.99 (2-yr one-time replacement warranty) = $44.98 + tax.

The good:

It does everything I need for an impact. It removed lug nuts without any issue. The 30 or 32mm axle nut came out without too much trouble. Tie rod end nuts came off easily, as did the nuts and bolts that held the ball joint to the LCA. This is all that I'd ask from an impact, so for me, it does the job well for an unbelievably low price.

The bad:

The orange casing looks kinda cheap and cheesy. It also picks up greasy fingerprints that cannot be easily wiped out. The gun also has difficulty keep the socket attached, so you must be careful. And whenever you use it, it smells like it is overheating.

Conclusion:

It does everything I ask for from an impact, for a super low price. And even if I only get a few years out of it, it's still a good deal. The end.

It's the corded one, correct? Nice price for a decent tool. It appears to be the same as more expensive ones.

Did it come with any impact sockets? I am assuming you are talking about the 110V corded one.

Does anybody have this one? Is it any good? Seems to have decent reviews but costs $80 shipped :-(

12V Digital Impact Wrench

414S16TcZKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have been using the HF 1/2 inch 110 volt impact wrench for years, it is great. I use it to rotate tires on 7 cars every 7500 miles.

If you don't want socket to come off, line up the spring loaded ball with the hole in the socket, just be prepared to use a flat screwdriver to pry it off or a small phillips screwdriver to depress the ball to remove socket.

HF has great prices on impact sockets also.

Last edited:
Color me surprised. I'd figure it wouldn't break loose anything tougher than a lug nut based on the poor performance of cheap pnuematic impacts. Is this thing heavy having an electric motor? In the midwest rust can lock bolts so tight that even penetrating oil and quality impacts won't always loosen them. I wonder how it would fair on corroded bolts.

Ditto, great tool for the price. I've had one for years now and it's been very useful. It is quite heavy for the size and has had no issues at all removing any lug bolt and even chasing out badly corroded wheel bearings with a threaded removal kit.

Not a replacement for a pneumatic impact, but much cheaper and IMO more field expedient when paired with a quality extension cord.

Yup, My grandpa has one of these. Have used it many times.
Ours does not smell like its burning up though, so I assume it might be something that goes away as it wears in or something.

I have one too, it's a great tool and has held up very well over the 3 years I have owned it. I use it mostly for removing and reinstalling lug nuts. I have learned the tool well and can run a lug nut back on almost tight with the impact wrench and then tighten and torque them down by hand.

It will very easily bust loose some stubborn nuts and bolts though. Mine doesn't smell like it is overheating, either. Maybe HF will exchange yours for a new one.

My only 2 complaints about it are it is pretty heavy, if I use it for any long length of time it will wear my arm out. And it is hard to keep sockets on the business end of it. I use cheap electrical tape to hold my flip socket on it when busting lug nuts off.

Overall it's a great tool, especially for the price.

So I'm putting together a tool set to start to do my own suspension/tire work. Originally, I was looking at air tools, but space is limited in my garage, and I don't want the baggage of a compressor if it's not needed.

The HF website has some decent reviews on their $40 1/2 corded electrical impact. My applications would be:

1) Torque on and off lug nuts on nissan altima and honda accord.

2) Torque off suspension parts (i.e. install quickstrut, take off ball joint, tie rods).

Is this thing up for the job? I know it's a bit cheezy, but my usage would be fairly limited.

Probably the only bolts that will be a challange for it are the pinch bolts connecting the strut and the hub. I have a cheap corded electric rated for 240lbs and I had to work it backwards and forwards a couple times to break the nuts loose on my Neon. Heating with propane torch would help if you get stuck on these. Get some good sockets though, they should last a lifetime even if the impact wrench won't.

Generally you want to impact wrench OFF nuts/bolts. Using an impact wrench to put ON nuts and bolts can be a problem (over-torquing). Unless you use torque sticks - and some people believe these are worthless because they seem to quickly lose their accuracy. Or impact wrench on most of the way and use a proper torque wrench for the final fastening.

Thanks for the review. My grandparents got me one of these for Christmas. I'm eager to try it out but the temps around isn't tire rotation friendly. Breaking bolts loose used to wear me out.. might actually be able to do more than one project a day now!

Originally Posted By: lairdwd
So I'm putting together a tool set to start to do my own suspension/tire work. Originally, I was looking at air tools, but space is limited in my garage, and I don't want the baggage of a compressor if it's not needed.

The HF website has some decent reviews on their $40 1/2 corded electrical impact. My applications would be:

2) Torque off suspension parts (i.e. install quickstrut, take off ball joint, tie rods).

Is this thing up for the job? I know it's a bit cheezy, but my usage would be fairly limited.

It's not cheesy, I just swapped a subframe using nothing but ratchets and an electric impact gun. I find electric guns a lot more convenient. The power cord is more flexible than air line, and your power is always there, instantly, without having to have a tank replenish if you are on it for a while (my tank is only 13 gallon)

I love my electric impact guns!

Should do what you need for the most part (If it can get into those areas) Sometimes you still need hand tools.

I have had the same orange HF unit for about 3 years now.

Works really well for taking off lug nuts. Not so well on suspension parts, but it eventually works..

Its not as powerful as a snap on air impact for sure, but for most home users it should be fine.

Mine was around 30 dollars also.

Do people who get electric impacts have air compressors? It weighs over 7 lbs and has only 240 lb max torque. One of the best IR air impact wrenches is just under 4 lbs and has 780 lb max torque.
I have a upper end HF one with 425 max torque and if it gets stuck I get out the 3/4" one.

Also I have the feeling with an air impact wrench I can treat it roughly, like carry it by whip hose, drop it and nothing will happen. I think an electric one would not survive being dropped a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back