2005 Grand Am Auto Trans Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to help out a friend who has an 05 Grand Am with a trans problem. I've heard that these cars don't have dipsticks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to check on the fluid and the overall condition of the trans.

Is there a sensor for low fluid that would cause an error code? If it's low, how much and where do I add? What else should I be looking for?

The car will not go into any gear until it warms up a bit. The colder it is, the longer it takes.

I'd like to learn more about this before I go over to help her in this 0F weather!

There is a 11mm nut in the side of the transmission. It is on the passenger side, slightly in front of the differential housing (pass side axle goes into it).

You check the fluid on level ground while idle in park at normal operating temp. If fluid comes out of the tiny check plug then it is alittle overfull. If nothing comes out, then add through the red fill cap on top the transmission until it runs out the check hole.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1863991

My Post:

I used a floor jack to lift the car, and then jackstands for saftey. Then after the pan is dropped and filter changed, remove passenger wheel, oil level plug and lastly jackstands. Lower car to normal level, and pour in 5-6 quarts. Start engine at idle, and fill one quart at a time and look at oil level hole to see if fluid is present. A flashlight is helpfull. As the fluid get near level, you will see it moving around in the oil level hole. It will start to "spritz" out when full. I then jack car back up and put back jackstands for saftey. (Keep engine running) Put in fill plug, and you can then turn engine off, remove jackstands, install pass wheel and lower car.

Do a pan drop and filter change only. I think that tranny holds 11 or 12 quarts, so you will get 8 or 9 out with a pan drop. Thats all you want to doin IMO

Next time, with the drain plug, I will just measure what can out and replace that amount.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back