Adding 20W50 To 5W30 To Increase Viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 year round In the summer months I am planning to mix it with Valvoline 20W50 Synthetic. The MSDS sheet I read some time ago lists 5W30 Group 3 & 4, The MSDS sheet I read for 20W50 lists it as Group 4. My question is; would mixing the two be a cost effective way to get high PAO 10W40 at a cheap price?

You might not get exactly what you expect but I would think that if they're of the same brand you'll be very reasonably close.

Rotella T6 is a more cost effective way to get a good 5w-40 oil.

Anyhow... Meh, go for it.

It's easy to mess up an oils low xW properties. If you mix to get a high 40 weight, your xW will most likely be something higher than a 10W. For summer months, that's prolly not an issue.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
it would have to mix better than lucas or stp because its the same brand and stuff. just my opinion.

Agreed

Stay with the same brand. But I wouldn't do it regularly. And stay within the same category ie: CI-4/SL. Chemistries are different for SM or SN

Originally Posted By: troyb43
How about Amsoil, they have a 10w-40 synthetic.

with a kick butt additive pack loaded with a TBN of 12.1 and flat tappet safe levels of ZDDP(AMO only). This oil is about to become the lubricant of choice for my Shelby GT500.

Unless you were talking about their XL 10W-40, and the above statement wouldn't apply.

~ Why is it in these forums that Amsoil almost always ends up hi-jacking the threads?

""I use Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 year round In the summer months I am planning to mix it with Valvoline 20W50 Synthetic. The MSDS sheet I read some time ago lists 5W30 Group 3 & 4, The MSDS sheet I read for 20W50 lists it as Group 4. My question is; would mixing the two be a cost effective way to get high PAO 10W40 at a cheap price?""

This thread was simply about mixing two viscosities to make a desired weight with a high PAO for cheap. Although since we are on the subject about why I don't use Amsoil. I will tell you; Even if Amsoil was the best I still wouldn't purchase it because of the individual distribution of the products. If it was marketed in the stores along the shelves of the other oils...then I may purchase it when it became a sale item.

Last edited:
The reason for the Amsoil suggestion is b/c what you after with your proposed mix is a 10W-40 synthetic, or very close to it.

There are very few actual 10w-40 full-synthetic oils out there, and Amsoil AMO happens to be one of the more obtainable, high-quality 10W-40 synthetics out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back