Cat pump oil substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like their ISO 68 is the closest to the 30wt. I really don't need a 5 gallon pail either.

I sent this question to Amsoil:
I have a Cat pump that is supposed to take a 30wt non detergent. CAT Pump 3DNX27GSI Direct Drive Triplex LUBRICATION: Fill crankcase with special CAT PUMP Hydraulic oil per pump specifications [1DX, 2DX, 3DX, 3DNX-8.5 oz., 3SP, 3SPX-10.15 oz.]. DO NOT RUN PUMP WITHOUT OIL IN CRANKCASE. Change initial fill after 50 hours running period. Thereafter, change oil every 3 months or 500 hour intervals. What is a good substitute for this pump? Thanks Pat

Amsoil answered:

AWF - ISO 15

AWG - ISO 22

AWH - ISO 32

AWI - ISO 46

AWJ - ISO 68

Heck if I get enough takers we could get a 5 gallon pail and split it up..........
13.gif

The Annovi Reverberi pump I had before ran on synthetic oil. So that was easy.

That's easy.
Go find a quality synthetic iso 68 Hydraulic oil with good pao base stock and quality additives and buy it. You can expect the easiest way to buy being in 5 gallon buckets.

I'm trying not to buy 5 gallons...... It will be way too much for what I need. I would like to buy maybe a few qts.

I wonder if synthetic trans fluid would work? Probably not recommended. But it's just a thought.

Would Iso 68 be too thin? It's about halfway between a 20wt and 30wt correct? The cat takes a 30 wt.

Last edited:
I've always used 30wt Non-Detergent in Cat, General, and the Italian import pumps for well over 20 years. Never lost a pump due to the oil protected surfaces wearing out. Grit in the valves, broken crankcases, broken sight glasses, well that is another story. Change the oil at least occasionally, and keep an eye out for milkshakes, and you will be OK. We rent these washers out nearly everyday, and I have NEVER had a pump go south just by wearing out - it has always been physical damage from the outside, or "dirty" water was used. Better to buy a finer screen/filter for the inlet than to spend the money on synthetic IMHO.

I use 75w-90 gear oil in my pump. It was recommended to me years ago by a commercial pressure washing company owner.

hey guys cool site. I run a pressure wash truck for a living and my Pump a 7 gpm belt driven pump requires 30wt non detergent. It is run off a 3 cyl diesel engine. I change out the oil every 200 hrs and just use a good quality conventional 30 wt. My pump and engine combo have 5184 hours on them as of yesterday without any problems at all. I change out the 3 cyl every 100 hrs. I would strongly recommend changing yours every 200 and skip the synthetic.

I always run synthetic in most everything. Amsoil says to use their compressor oil. I use it in my Sears compressor so that's what I will run.

Synthetic PC Series Compressor Oil
(ISO 46, SAE 20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back