Odd grease application ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a special type of grease ... and not any will do.

My dad has an old Model A Ford and the water pump has a grease fitting on it and what is needed is a very high heat and high-pressure grease that is VERY water-proof.

The stuff I had used was called "STA PUT" and was distributed by "Smith & Jones" but the 1 tube I had ran out.

Here is what is written on the empty tube:

STA PUT
Heigh Temp / Extreme Pressure
Water Proof

Other specs are:

550 Dropping Point
65lb. Timken OK Load
Rust, Corrosion & Oxidation inhibitors
Water resistance
Ideal for Water Pumps.

This grease is very heavy, very sticky and dark green in color. It is not a opaque color like most but instead it is translucent ... almost transparent.
shocked.gif

Anyone know of any comparable greases? I don't need any immediately but I like to keep one gun around the garage loaded with this stuff.

MS, Amsoils grease is not water proof, as I personally have one of those tubes and verified that it will emulsify with water as most all lithium greases do.

Bror,
I'd recommend an alum complex grease which is completely compatible with all complexes except a bentonite(clay base) complex and will not require any disassembly and will just overtake the current grease in your application as it is applied.

The other thing to consider is having a moly barrier additive as it will provide the extreme pressure protection (65lb timken) as you well know.

I'd suggest looking at these two and then give me a call. I'll just send you one to keep you going as I'm sure you don't want or need to buy a full case.

Take your choice of which one you want as both of these will do what you need as a very good replacement of the one you were using.

My choice is the 229#, red in color, but the dye coloring will look like its milking up when it isn't. I find that this one seems to plate up faster as it uses a different type of moly as opposed to the 238. http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/229.html

The 238#2 is black and doesn't milk up. It too is very popular and does an excellent job.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/238.html

Now both of these are very tacky and if cold will be harder to pump out.

The 221 #2 is a favorite up north but I don't use it down here. You can order that one from Tim in ark if you want that one as it works well up north for cold pumpability. http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/221.html

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
MS, Amsoils grease is not water proof, as I personally have one of those tubes and verified that it will emulsify with water as most all lithium greases do.

[/URL]

Bob,

Thanks for clerifying that. I didn't mean to imply that it was water proof. Just like my post say's water resistant. So I don't want to say it will do something that it won't.

As I do not work with Model A's I have no Ideal what type of grease it calls for.

Thanks Bob, I was kind of hoping that Schaeffer had a grease that might fit this bill.

Actually, I was working on an order I might place with your Arkansas buddy. I want to take stock of everything and anything I might need and then place one good-size order. Most of the oils & greases will be going into lawn & garden equipment so the ever-so-pricey Red Line is really overkill ... and I'm not sure their CV-2 grease is even waterproof.

Expect to hear from me (e-mail) in the next week or two.

*Addendum*:

Bob, I took a look at those greases. I'm kind of stuck between the heavier-the-better and the fact that none of those specifically recommends use in water pumps. In the next week or so, can you run the "Model A Water Pump" scenario past the Schaeffer techs? These cars were awfully plentiful at one time and I doubt I'm the 1st to ask this question and I'm in no specific hurry.

The STA PUT grease I HAD used was so thick, we had an old Internation Cub Lo-Boy tractor and the stuff shot into the mower deck bearings nearly kep the blades from turning ... even on a warm day.
wink.gif

[ June 23, 2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back