FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up some today, and I was able to get the GREAT BIG PureOne filter for my Dodge Cummins with the 5 qts. of GC-the filter that goes for $17.99 @ AAP-for ZERO additional cost! $27.99 for all!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'm sorry, that's Advanced Auto Parts, and it IS $26.99 for 5 qts. with your choice of K&N oil filter.

Does Advance Auto actually carry GC? I've never seen it there.

Doas anyone have a VOA of GC for 2010?? I would like to see a more recent VOA if there is one out there. Did't see one in the search.

Im so depressed. LOL
locally the gc had mysteriously dropped to about $6 per liter(cheapest good synthetic going here, even cheaper than rotella)....
it wasnt a sale. it was showing as the normal price and was up for a couple of months at least like this...

I bought up a bunch of it..but shouldve bought more. I used it up in a wack of cars. lol I put it in all of our cars, and now the price got jacked back up to $9.99 per Liter. booooooooooo

So I picked up another brand for this change ...

I have been reading up on GC for a few years now and wanted to get some opinions on GC at the track. I have an LS3 S/C vette that I plan to take out for some weekend warrior events on some road courses. I know that GC is thicker at 100C than most 30 weights. Is it good enough for 20-30 minute track secessions?

GC is good street oil, but if you need something strictly for track applications, I think there are better options out there, like Redline 5w-40 for example.

I was always a big fan of GC and am still considering it now that I need something stout. But how much merit needs to be given to the fact that Porsche dropped it from the approved list? That concerns me a lot.

Last edited:
Hi,
vinu_neuro - Porsche discontinued Listing all SAE30 lubricants (A40 List) regardless of the Brand. They settled on SAE40 lubricants and only one SAE50 lubricant (M1 0W-50)

All Porsche engines that are VW derived use the C30 List which is effectively the VW Group's specifications

But when you look at the viscosity of GC at 100C it performs very close to a 40 weight. Remember thicker is not always better, my thought is as long as the oil is not over cooked (above 280F) it should work great on the street and track. I have a large Z06 oil cooler to keep the temps down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Why does the Canadia PDS show HTHS of 2.9cst?

Could it be that this isn't *German* Castrol but maybe USA made Castrol Syntec 0W30?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Could it be that this isn't *German* Castrol but maybe USA made Castrol Syntec 0W30?

US Syntec didn't meet any Euro specs, just API and select few engine ones. The oil Vinu linked to meets *some* Euro specs, just ACEA and VW, not BMW or MB, so it's not the normal GC as we know it.

ALSO, that HTHS test is not the normal ASTM test.

Last edited:
Any deals on GC coming up?

I used up my limited stock when BP was slashing prices after poisoning most of the gulf coast, any deals in Canada or Western New York (which I can get to within 2 hrs).

Originally Posted By: m4gician

Check your local Auto Zone (NY) they are currently running 5 qts. of Syntec + K&N filter for $29.99.

Here's the ad:

AZ ad for GC

I used up my limited stock when BP was slashing prices after poisoning most of the gulf coast, any deals in Canada or Western New York (which I can get to within 2 hrs).

Do you have Pep Boys in Canada?

I was at Pep Boys and saw they had 5qts and a purolator pureONE filter for $27.99. Only down side is they don't make a pureone filter for my car and didn't let me substitute. So I grabbed one for my girlfriends Tacoma even thought she gets free oil changes at the dealer for another year or two.

Looking forward to giving this a shot.

Originally Posted By: TJPark01

Do you have Pep Boys in Canada?

nah, aside from Wal-Mart, we have none of the shops up here. $6 a quart? wow... that's just about $5.25 a litre...that's good. WITH an oil filter huh?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

US Syntec didn't meet any Euro specs, just API and select few engine ones. The oil Vinu linked to meets *some* Euro specs, just ACEA and VW, not BMW or MB, so it's not the normal GC as we know it.

ALSO, that HTHS test is not the normal ASTM test.

This is the kind of crosstalk that makes me wonder, still, after reading 31 pages of this thread, what is German Castrol? Some references say HTHS is 2.9. Some say 3.5. I looked at the PDS on Castrol's US site, and they don't even list HTHS or Flash Point. If this oil is so outstanding, why don't they post the specs? I searched the Castrol UK site, and I found this spec sheet for Formula SLX:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/EC479052BF4A9A6F802577ED00480ADD/$file/BPXE-85KNNG_0.pdf
Might this be the stuff we know as German Castrol in the States? The problem is, this spec sheet dates back to 2003, and there certainly have been changes to the formulation since then.

I searched the German website, and found the spec sheet for SLX Professional Longtec:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/C77D6A12D87B276D802577ED004A9A13/$file/BPXE-85KSC6_0.pdf
This has the proper 100C viscosity of 12.2, and shows HTHS of 3.5, but measured by the ASTM-D4683 method. Also, the Flash Point is only 212C. At least this sheet dates to 2007, which was after the changeover from Green GC to Gold GC.

Also on the German Castrol website is the spec sheet for SLX Professional Powerflow BMW LL04:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/2C00764F01EEFFF0802577ED00480CC6/$file/BPXE-85KPQ6_0.pdf
This also has a high 100C vis of 12.3, but unfortunately does not list HTHS. The Flash Point of this oil is 238C, which is much higher than the other SLX Professional. Also, the TBN is 7.0, and only 0.7% SA. This sheet also dates to 2007.

Another "Heavy 30" on the German Castrol site is SLX Professional Powerflow C3:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/8F1D53351A02CF29802577ED004A9D86/$file/KHET-87XC3L_0.pdf
This stuff is probably not so wonderful, as it appears to be a low-SAPS formulation.

I even found a Green GC on the site, SLX Longlife II:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/E41E149AB72737FD802577ED00480C48/$file/BPXE-85KPG2_0.pdf
But don't get excited, its 100C viscosity is only 10.1, so it's not a "Heavy 30".

The Germans really seem to like the "Heavy 30" concept, some of their Edge oils also have 100C viscosity of ~12.2. But the flash points are low.

Castrol does a poor job of marketing this product in the united states. They could use some lessons from Mobil. Perhaps they figured it will be a word of mouth thing, or that the market is too narrow to allocate a lot of advertising resources to this product. It's a shame because clearly, as evidenced by this thread and others like it, there is a dedicated following.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back