Honda Civic EK3 CVT / 25,000 miles / Honda Z-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm from the Caribbean and back home I have a Japanese model Honda Civic EK3 Ferio Vi Multimatic. To read more about my car see here:

EK3 Honda Civic Ferio Vi
EK3 Honda Civic Ferio Vi Multimatic Transmission
JDM VTEC-D15B Engine

For all you guys with VTEC engines my car is your grandaddy!!

Anyway, it's age shows.

It has a CVT transmission.
Here is an UOA for the transmission oil after 25,000 miles on Honda Z-1. Yes I know I should be using Honda CVT Fluid but in my defense this was reintroduced in 2006 and I change my oil every 2 years or so and I only recently found out about it.

I'll give you 5 seconds to spot what's wrong but then take your time and tell me how to fix it. Ready? Go!

------>ppm
Cr----->1
Pb----->4
Cu----->2
Fe----->417
Sn----->1
Al----->9
Ni----->1
K------>5
Ag----->0
Si------>9
B------>270
Na----->3
Mg----->219
Ca----->264
P------->0
Zn----->361
Mo----->0
Ba------>0
Ti------>0
V------->0

cSt Viscosity 100°C --------->5.98
Oxidation abs/cm----------->0.37
TAN (ASTM D664) mgKOH/g--->1.26

I'm about to flush the fluid and put in Honda CVT transmission fluid but I have 6 oz of Auto-RX in there and I'll drive it for about 2,500 miles before I flush it.
I've already driven 500 miles.

Thanks
Thor.

Nice info about the D15 engine. I still prefer the B series or even better, the K series engines. Nothing like enjoying the newest technology from Honda.

Originally Posted By: thor2010
I'll give you 5 seconds to spot what's wrong
Fe----->417

Hmmm... think the iron is a little high? And doesn't Honda say that reduced wear is why they require ATF-Z1 in their transmissions? Granted, Z1 was used here in a CVT versus one of their automatic transmissions.

Yeah, that Iron looks mighty high to me to. Here is a UOA (w/particle count) from my Honda from last year using Z1 at 18K miles. Different tranny, of course but, then again, one of Honda's most problematic. I took this test PRIOR to installing a Magnefine. I'll be sampling again in the next month to see how it did. Z-1 formulation looks similar enough (considering different labs)

Z-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Here is a UOA (w/particle count) from my Honda from last year using Z1 at 18K miles. Different tranny, of course but, then again, one of Honda's most problematic.

What kind of Honda transmission is that UOA from?

I wish I'd thought to get a UOA done of the factory fill of Z1 that I dumped from our VUE (which has a Honda V6 and 5-speed automatic tranny) at 30K back in April. The magnetic drain plug (shown below) had quite a bit of metal slivers stuck to it. Guess I'll have to wait until the next drain/fill.

DSCF0635s.jpg

I'm going to put a Magnefine on this transmission and change the fluid to Honda CVT Transmission Fluid and change it every 12,000 miles and do a UOA then.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

What kind of Honda transmission is that UOA from?

2000 Honda Accord V6, about 70K total miles at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back