Meguiar's Ultimate Compound problem, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this for my mother, who attempted to revive the hood of her '95 Civic with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a random orbital. This is the result.
crazy2.gif
I can't speak to technique used. We're presuming the UC got into the cracks and dried. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/use to try to reduce the unsightliness of these cracks? TIA.

Hondapaint.jpg

Hondapaint2.jpg

If I'm not mistaken those are called crow's feet, which is paint problem under the clear coat. I think its an inherent problem with Honda paint at the time. My mom's 98 Civic has the same problem. No compound is going to fix that.

Yes, the car was washed before application. Those are bug splatters scars -- they are permanently etched into the plastic bumper.

So it appears this is a paint problem, not a problem with the Meguiars. The goal is to reduce the visibility of the crows feet, which were not so apparent before the UC application.

Anyone think some Dawn detergent and a soft bristle brush would help remove the UC from the crows feet?

Would clay barring help?

How about rubbing peanut butter on it?

I believe you need something called PrepSol sold by body shop. If you can't locate it, get the mineral spirits from pharmacy. It will take the compound out from the cracks. Those cracks are clear coat failure. Please check TSB's. Honda blue paint had recall on some models where repaint was offered. I am not sure if all shades of blue were included or not.

- Vikas

So after you clay bar the paint... is the paint smooth like glass? When I worked on my mom's car the polish and wax came right off nice and easy. Which made me think the clear coat is fine. But the black paint underneath the clear coat was messed up.

Maybe your paint is more severe.

Before wiping the car down with Prepsol try doing an IPA wipe down. Which is isopropyl alcohol. That should remove any remmants of the UC.

Thanks guys. Yesterday she tried peanut butter and said that made great immediate improvement.
smile.gif

I had an '00 Maxima that was not nearly as bad as your mom's car, but did have a lot of rock chips. I used a product from Turtle Wax called Color Magic. I used black on a charcoal car and the results were great. It appears from TW's web site they don't make the blue anymore - but googling I found this - tho I don't know if it's current:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Turtle-Wax-Color-Magic-Blue-Car-Polish-Case-of-3/4750445/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=9B0F243A-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

It wasn't great wax - but because the color was so close to the paint color the results were more than satisfactory.

I say "Cheers and Here, Here" for your Mom. She had the guts to go for it although it was not successful. Good for her.......and she figured out how to counter it. He-ll of a Mom!Be Proud!

I hope you do understand the clear coat is failing on that Honda. Sooner than later, it will get lot worse. As I said, there might be TSB on that car/color. Please look in to it.

- Vikas

Yes, she and I understand that nothing's going to 'bring it back' short of repainting. Searched the TSBs but came up empty, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back