Health Insurance Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an inquiry of health insurance if interested.

How much gets pulled from your check and frequency. Deductible and co pays?

Wife:
She works 20hrs/week at hospital
$110/every two weeks for family coverage (us + 2 kids)
$0 copay and no deductible. We are limited to Drs only who are within her hospital network except children can go anywhere if service not offered.
Prescriptions are $10-$25

This is highly employer and plan dependent. Some employers subsidize your insurance more than others. I'm currently on HMO and I am the only one insured (my wife has a plan from her employer), and I don't get anything deducted from my paycheck and have no deductible. $10 copay for doctor visits. I am a full time employee. If we have someone working just 20 hours a week, that person isn't even eligible for health insurance under our employer policy.

$250 premium paid bi-weekly
$500 deductible per person
no children

This is a far better coverage than what I can get through my employer. Mine would have been $270 bi-weekly with $1,500 per person deductible.

Me: every 2 week about $120 for traditional EPO/PPO, $5 for high deductible HSA account with $1250 deductible and $4000 max out of pocket

Wife: every 2 week about $70 for traditional EPO/PPO.

Blue Care Network
Family premium paid in full by employer
30.00 copay doctor visit, therapy etc.

no prescription but i use all generic and cost is low for 5 daily meds I take

I had total hip replacement surgery last summer total cost to me = $340.00

Our contract is up and company has asked for a 1000.00 deductible plan for family or 500.00 for individual - stay tuned

Also my wife has far better coverage available as a school employee but she opts out of health insurance and is on mine - she recieves 700.00 monthly to opt out

Last edited:
I've got a BlueCross BlueShield of Western NY 80/60 PPO family plan.

~$200/mo out of the paycheck

Deductible is $550 individual, $1100 family.

Annual out of pocket maximum is $3000 individual, $6000 family.

Plan pays 80% after you satisfy the deductible.

If you go out of network, all the above figures double other than 60% being covered.

When I started with my employer ~14yrs ago, it was all HMOs with small $10-25 co-pays, never saw a bill and payed peanuts out of my paycheck for it. This all started going downhill about 6yrs ago.

Given my wife is (unexpectedly) pregnant with child #4, you couldn't drag a greased string between my cheeks I'm so nervous about the potential expenses. With my previous 3 kids (5, 6 and 8), it was a $25 copay and that was it!

Joel

Federal BCBS:
199 every two weeks.
5K catastrophic coverage for PPO, 7K for non-PPO.
300 individual detectible or 700 family.
20 dollar co-payment.
I shopped around for other plans. Some were cheaper, but they would nail for in-patient care or deductibles. Wife went through breast cancer this year, and let me tell you, BCBS came through. Once I smoked through the 5K catastrophic amount, everything, I mean everything, was paid in full. I'm getting into the habit of putting 5K into a seperate savings account every year just to cover that expense should we hit that high amount again. Yeah, it's still 5K, but the peace of mind was worth it to me.

Can you explain what do you mean by "5K catastrophic coverage for PPO, 7K for non-PPO." It is quite confusing with the deductible coming in to the case. If your co-pay is $20, do you have to make 5000/20 = 250 visits before you will exhaust your catastrophic coverage?

- Vikas

Vikas, It's my understanding you would still pay a co-pay with every office visit even IF you've hit your max out of pocket of $5K. You still pay a co-pay with every office visit until your deductible amount(s) are met and you still keep paying them. At least that's how it works for me. Co-pays don't count towards deductibles.

Shmoe- good for you to be able to save up $5K/yr! I have all I can do to get $1500/yr into my health care spending account and try for another 1200 in my credit union.

Joel

Last edited:
I just took a new job simply for the health insurance. $22/month, $500 deductible, $1,500 out of pocket maximum, 80/20 coinsurance, no lifetime maximum. $25/copay for DR visits.

My previous job?
lol.gif
$150/month, no major medical, $1,500/year maximum. Basically only DR visits.

I make less hourly at my new job, but the health insurance more then makes up for it compared to any previous job I've had.

Last edited:
I pay about $30/month. 2400 deductible. $4800 out of pocket max. 80/20 co insurance. 3 million dollar lifetime maximimum. on a high deductible health plan with a health savings account. all preventive treatments are free. I work for a major health insurance company too, some of you got better health insurance benefits. I cry fowl, fowl I say
cry.gif

my plan only covers me and I have the cheapest health plan. my wife has blue cross through her job. since I almost died a few months ago and was seeing the light (seriously terrifying at the time), my wife added me to her insurance as secondary in case my health insurance tried to deny me for some reason if something catastrophic happened to me in 2011. but hey, I wouldn't come back from the brink of death and just kick the bucket next year I don't think.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
No, deductibles, co-payments and out of pocket cost all goes towards the 5K catastrophic limit. If my out of pocket expense reaches 5K with a PPO, I don't pay anything else. Prescriptions included. Up until my father died, I didn't know what or how that worked, but I do now when it happened to me. You got to watch out for the hospital or doctors price versus the negotiated price when it comes to percentage to pay. You only pay the percent on the negotiated price. I've had hospitals try and screw me that way before and had to get BCBS involved, and they came through.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
You got to watch out for the hospital or doctors price versus the negotiated price when it comes to percentage to pay. You only pay the percent on the negotiated price. I've had hospitals try and screw me that way before and had to get BCBS involved, and they came through.

That's a fact right there! You also can't just go with whatever procedure a health care professional recommends. You have to find out if it's covered first.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back