List of VW Approved Oils Including 507.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ever there was a reason to NOT purchase a VW, or Audi, this list is it. What a pain looking for most of these oils. It is like Nissan Ester Oil. No thnaks, I'll buy something where the owners manual says SM or now SN. That is what my Nissan Frontier calls for (SM); I checked that out before I bought the truck.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
If ever there was a reason to NOT purchase a VW, or Audi, this list is it. What a pain looking for most of these oils. It is like Nissan Ester Oil. No thnaks, I'll buy something where the owners manual says SM or now SN. That is what my Nissan Frontier calls for (SM); I checked that out before I bought the truck.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: Boomer

crackmeup2.gif

Let me clarify my post.

If you purchase a new VW/Audi gas engine, you have many options for 502.00 oils.

If it's a diesel, you have three options for 507.00 oils: Dealer (probably Castrol), auto parts stores (probably Mobil 1 ESP 5w30) or mail order (many options). (Amsoil is now an option for this too.)

I am certain that a vehicle owner will be able to obtain the correct oil and keep a quart/liter in the vehicle for top-off.

Obtaining oil has been a non-issue for 10 years.

On the 507 it can be tough. The three closest parts stores do not have. So instead of a five minute drive to get some lube, its a half hour drive to walmart.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

If it's a diesel, you have three options for 507.00 oils: Dealer (probably Castrol), auto parts stores (probably Mobil 1 ESP 5w30) or mail order (many options). (Amsoil is now an option for this too.)

Thats what I though, now reading the 2010 Audi TSB, Pennzoil Platinum is approved. http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum

Quaker State Q-Diesel Plus http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003257022_200908041742.pdf

The PP is good news as its easy to get and not too spendy. Weird that Pennzoil Ultra is not OK (yet).

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
On the 507 it can be tough. The three closest parts stores do not have. So instead of a five minute drive to get some lube, its a half hour drive to walmart.

They don't stock it, or they cannot order it for you? Any retail outlet that carries Mobil oil should be able to get M1 ESP 5w30.

Even if they won't or can't, you can mail order it.

EDIT: Those Penz products should be available by special order too.

Last edited:
You are right - the only approved pennzoil is the "Ultra Euro L" Good luck finding that locally. I misinterpreted their web site where it list PP as a 507 approved oil, assuming it was standard PP 5W30. I had this verified by Shell / Pennzoil technical support today. Bummer. But on the plus side, the factory OCI is 10K miles.

Finding 507 isn't really an issue. The issue is the price. SLX Professional is sold at my VW dealership for a bit over $11 a liter. M1 ESP is $8 a liter at PepBoys.

I thought I had struck gold with the recent PepBoys sale of M1 for $4 a liter. Problem is, PepBoys was only selling the basic grades at that price and not ESP. (oh well, purchased 12 quarts of 0w40...which is 502 spec'd....for the Passat for $48!!)

Anyway, my hope is that 507 prices will come down over the next couple of years as I take advantage of my FREE VW oil changes....(also have a voucher for a free change at 40k miles). The first change I will have to "shell out for" will be at the 50k mile mark. By that point, I hope I can find some $4 liters of 507 to stock up on.

I recently found locally the Quaker State Q Diesel for 10 bucks a quart at a Dodge dealer, and the SLX at the VW dealer for just under 9 bucks a liter. For the SLX, this is a decent deal relatively speaking. Total and Lubromoly "good" prices on the web seem to be in the 8 dollar range.

But if you own any new VW needing 507 lube, you will get free oil changes for 3 years, 36K.

After the warranty is up going to a synthetic CJ4 oil is probably a safe bet. I'll try to confirm this directly with VW powertrain engineering and one of the lube suppliers.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Very helpful. But is dated 2007.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/529/VW_TSB_17_08_01_2008-Jan-11.pdf

Once again,,,go to the search section,,this has been beat to death forever,,there must be a million comments on vw oil,,me, I would not buy one of the blankety things if its that much trouble, i would loose sleep. Ugh,,why dont u use what the book calls for and have a nice day,,,,,,,geeeeeeeeeeeeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back