Lincoln Climate control questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 01 Lincoln Towncar where the HVAC blower speeds up and slows down. This takes place when I first start driving and when I have driven for a little while Hot or cold heat or AC. I have the automatic climate control system. When I take it to max fan speed it is little better butr slower it is worse. Do you guy think it is a blower motor or a relay problem or something else? I think this system was used on several other Ford products including the Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria.

Press OFF and FLOOR at the same time, and immediately press AUTO to activate the self diagnostics test mode, and post the code.

Thanks for the info. Do I need a scanner to read the code or will it show on the HVAC display

The DTC will appear on the HVAC display.
smile.gif
Have a look through this for more info!

I ran the test twice as instructed and no codes were shown both times. I ran the tests with the engine off in the accessory on position. After I exited the self test, I set the fan speed on high and it worked fine as I slowed the fan it became more and more intermittent, but when I increased the fan speed 50% and up to full speed it ran fine.

So, the blower speed constantly fluctuates enough to notice? Does it cut out or just change speeds? When on "Auto" the fan speed can change considerably.

The blower motor speed control is solid state, as well as the control head, no relays to mess with. If there is a constant shifting of blower speed, the chances are really good the control head is commanding it to change. The only thing I have ever seen the blower motor speed controller do when faulty is either not let the fan work at all, or keep the fan running all the time.

To be honest, in the shop, I would throw another control head in it, see what happens and diagnose from there (I know that doesn't help). Could be any number of intermittent faulty sensors, temp, sunload etc. Possible bad ground.

Last edited:
Well I overide the auto by turning up the fan speed. I can't tell if the blower cuts completely out or if it goes to a lower speed because it fluctuates so quickly. It is like turning on the Ford manual controls turning it from like 4 them to 2 then to 3 or 4 and back. If I turn it on high speed it does pretty good but half or less causes the problem. it is a constant shifting of speed.

My guess would be the blower motor. When worn out I have seen blower motors not work, work intermittently, or struggle to work with the speed varying. This problem can be aggravated by a slower fan speed setting because of less voltage going to the motor.

+1 about the solid state control unit. I have only heard of them failing with the blower off or on constantly.

Last edited:
in the auto mode your fan goes up and down according to inside temp...i like to use the fan speed instead i just turn the fan speed dial that cuts off the auto mode..

I hope if it is the blower motor that it is reasonable to replace. Is OEM the best or an aftermarket. I am already looking at replacing the air suspension with regular shocks.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I hope if it is the blower motor that it is reasonable to replace. Is OEM the best or an aftermarket. I am already looking at replacing the air suspension with regular shocks.

unless there is a problem with your current air system, have you taken a look at monroe air struts? I ask because I was looking to go to regular shocks on mine because of the cost, but then i found the monroes to be very reasonable.

I'm replacing the air struts on my deville and i got mine from rockauto for $50 each. I would suggest using monroes online catalog and then matching the part number on rockauto. RA's item descriptions can be pretty wack.

good luck

All our cars have EATC...We just leave in the lowest position and leave the system on automatic all the time...It has been that way since we bought them and did the same on all our other cars...This way the a/c does not blast on everytime you start the car...If I want the fan speed higher for some reason I just move the fan speed up myself...We just leave it set at 76 degrees...My 88 Town Car [11 years and 300K miles] and 99 GMQ [7 years and 200K miles] both had the a/c system left on all the time and all was well.

I have 2 friends who have 00 GMQ'S and they usually shut the system off and turn it back on when they get into the car...They constantly have issues with their a/c...Both have been though 2 blend doors and several compressors...Plus when they turn the system back on after a rain all the windows fog up for a few minutes...If you leave the system on all the time you will not have this issue....I can not say shutting it off and putting it back on all the time caused their issues but generallly it is the people I see that keep doing that [and keep re-adjusting the temperature all the time] that have the bulk of the issues.

In your case I would just wait for the blower motor to go before fixing it unless you can get a awesome deal on one...You might get another year or more on the one you have.

Well I just had all 4 regular shocks replaced with Monroes and thats when I found the air suspension has locks of cracks in the rubber. I think I looked at strutmaster for a couple shocks to replace the air ride system. I assume that the 4 regular shocks won't take the place of the air suspension.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
Will the system show a code if the blower completely goes out?

On one of my friends 00 GMQ the blower motor is acting up..It makes alot of noise and acts erractically...No codes are showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back