Peak Final Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a coolant that I can use in all my internal combustion engines. Peak Global Lifetime is not an option as it too hard to locate. Peak Final Charge can be bought anytime at O'Reillys, although it isn't rated ASTM D4340. Is this a good option for Autos, Atvs, and motorcycles. I did post a similar question in tha powersports forum and was looking for more exposure so i'm asking here.

I don't know where you are in Ohio but NAPA carries Peak Global and Zerex AVF (which is what I'd recommend for powersports). Peak Global and Final Charge are somewhat unknown quantities. They are OAT formulas but no one knows what OATs are used besides benzoate-not the most effective inhibitor. It's believed that it doesn't have as much risk gumming to air or gasket compatibility as Dexcool, which is true for benzoate. That's sort of speculative and Dexcool is an OEM coolant for automobiles and HDs and Peak Global is not.

Final Charge is an HD OAT coolant. And usually that means it has a heavy dose of inhibitors. So it probably protects against metal corrosion well, but would it be harder on gaskets? It's dispappointing that it is not D4340 rated as that would be an important spec to meet for powersports equipment especially. Final charge would probably work fine but I'd go with Global.

Like I mentioned NAPA carries Global as does Kmart. NAPA also carries Zerex AVF and that is what I'd recommend for ATVs and motorcycles.

After reading http://www.gohtsn.com/article_321.shtml
[4] ASTM D-3306 comprises several individual tests. Several of those tests - including ASTM D-1384, D-2570, D-2809, and D-4340-- measure an antifreeze/coolant's ability to protect metals and components.
Does this mean if rated d-3306 it is by default rated d-4340?
Will look into Zerex AVF.

Last edited:
I used PEAK Final Charge RED full strength(for diesel rigs) in a Honda Accord the last 3 years that I owned it and it was fine. And I am currently using it in my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 original radiator and it too is doing well after a complete flush about 3+ years ago. Bought the Final Charge at BigLots several years ago really cheap(gal). Called the Peak 1-800 # and spoke with a rep. The rep told me that the Final Charge was fine for both applications.

I called Peak and was transferred to a technician who wasn't there. I received prompt response via email:
Question:
Can Final Charge be used as a coolant in a Polaris ATV? The
Polaris coolant has to be changed too often and I'd like an extended coolant that doesn't contain ethyl hexanoate (2-EHA). Also can Final Charge be used to top-off an auto coolant system filled with Peak Global Lifetime?
Answer:
Thanks for your e-mail. You may use the Final Charge in the ATV. Regarding the PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME ANTIFREEZE I would recommend that you top off with PEAK GLOBAL LIFETIME ANTIFREEZE to maintain the lifetime warranty.

Peak's position is their anti-freeze can be used in everything, and to a degree that is in part true with a complete change out since the anti-freeze meets D3306 and passes several minimal standards. (Prestone used a similar argument and the BBB disagreed but Prestone continued to market all makes.) But that's the thing you could use any antifreeze in anything but that doesn't mean it would be best. Peak also say it is a lifetime coolant yet GM spec for Dexcool is the industry standard for long life coolant and Dexclone is what is mostly used for HD extended life antifreeze. My main concern with final charge is it probably has a heavy dose of OAT inhibitors and could be agressive with some gaskets.

ASTM standards are minimal and most anti-freezes passes them by a long shot. Manufacturer requirements are usually more stringent. Ford will tell you that you can not use OAT coolants, GM will tell you that Dexcool should not be used with copper radiators, Honda will say Dexcool should not be used etc despite that the antifreeze easily passes D3306 and several other standards.

Bottom line is Peak Global could be used in anything if it is a complete changeover but whether it gives the best protection, copper radiator and gasket life is a different question. I think Global would be a better choice than Final Charge. What I sort of have against it is Global has extraordinary claims but the only published facts about it is it meets D3306. That doesn't mean a whole lot.

My past experiences at the local NAPA store in northwestern Ohio have not been very pleasant. It seemed like they only want to deal with professionals. Today the employee actually seemed knowledgeable and courteous. I explained my situation and he recommended Peak Full Force Long Life. I can't find any info on this long life coolant. The price is $8.62 a gal. of concentrate. Is this decent antifreeze for all makes/models? No Global Lifetime was in the store. Why do you recommend the Zerex AVF for ATVs?

As far as I know Peak full force is similar to original green and if you were going to go that route might as well get original green. Peak also makes a "Long Life" all makes that is a dexclone.

I don't know if there are any other NAPAs in your area you could try. Supposedly NAPAs are able to order Global if they don't have it. Kmart carries Global and Tractor Supply does or at least use to if you have one in your area.

The reason I recommended Zerex AVF for ATVs is it is a formula very similar to original Japanese coolant and many japanese ATVs use a similar coolant formula. AVF is a benzoate and phosphate, with no silicate and borate formula. Other than AVF since you don't want to use Dexcool, Peak Global which is a benzoate, no slicates and borates formula would probably be the best option if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back