AMSOIL SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
oilnub - You are already using one of the Worlds most accepted lubricants. It survives very well in twin turbo Porsche engines and is used by the Factory and many others such as Aston Martin as their race oil - off the shelf

It is readily available in Australia as you are aware

Mobil 1 does not come is a SAE30 grade - all are multigrade lubricants. In the test you indicated it sounds like they were pushing Brad Penn lubricants. In such a test the HTHS viscosity plays a role of course!

In all such comparisons the lubricants must be of equal specifications - and especially the viscosity!

I have an Evo 8. It has been lightly modified and tuned, but it's still a street car - it's making 260 AWHP. The engines rev reasonably high and the turbo needs protection too so if I can use a better oil than I am currently using, I'd like to do so. The car has an oil cooler and oil temps on a hot day are around 92*C (normal use) and up to maybe 120*C if I did some hard track laps.

The Amsoil 10W-40 AMO and the Mobil1 0W-40 cost exactly the same amount for me, that's why I started the thread asking which would be the better oil.

I can see the Amsoil has a higher TBN (just), and has a higher cSt at 100*C - the mobil1 0W-40 shears down to almost a SAE30 after some use from what I've seen. The car is recommended to use Mobil1 0W-30 from factory, but since this is no longer fully synthetic (FSM states oil must be fully synthetic), I decided to use the 0W-40. Now I have found a supplier of Amsoil, so I would switch over if it would offer my engine better protection. I don't want to re-start the Fe level debate again, but that has come into my mind once or twice too. Just wanted some opinions is all.

Last edited:
I'd use AMO 10W-40 over M1 0W-40 any day, especially in Australia. I wouldn't even think twice.

The only place the M1 will offer a definite advantage is in really cold temps - below -20C. At anything above that, the Amsoil is a 'tougher' more shear-resistant oil with a higher TBN.

In Australia, this scenario of cold temps doesn't even come into the equation.

I honestly believe the Amsoil will offer you better protection.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: rclint
These heavy duty specs do apply in my opinion when you look at the question, and the specific to the turbo, in which this protection is needed on the diesels.. many high boosted gassers are nothing compared to diesels.. I had a Dodge 2500 with Cummins Turbo, and if I remember correct the boost pressure was 26 PSI before the waste opened STOCK..

Coming from a diesel background, API specs of an oil are to be taken into consideration. The issue I have is with total disregard of all specs M1 0w40 meets, many of which are relevant in a petrol application. To say M1 0w40 is "CF only" is humorous.

Well to each his is own,,specs matter to me in diesel applications.

yes 0w40 has good specs yes it's a great oil and i have cases in stash not arguing that BUT...just not in a medium to HD applications,no way..HTHS and film strength are for me there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back