Question on oil filters for commercial mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been using Mobil 1 oil filters on my commercial equipment. Recently, when picking up some other parts for my mowers, I noticed a Briggs and Stratton oil filter for about $14.00. I grabbed one to look at it, and noticed a little sticker on the package. It stated something to the effect that due to the increased oil temperatures in air-cooled equipment, that you should only use the Briggs & Stratton filter for replacement.

The question is - Are they just trying to sell more oil filters or is there really a valid issue using automotive oil filters on air-cooled engines? I have noticed the Briggs and Stratton filters are priced pretty high, even at discount stores - not sure if that's because they have a higher profit margin or if they are really different.

Comments and thoughts? I like using automotive filters because I can use oversize ones which increases the oil capacity, and perhaps helps cool the oil a bit.

Comments?

Yes, they are trying to sell more filters. The B&S filter is nothing more than an automotive filter in disguise and is most likely made by Champion Labs. $14 for an oil filter is ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Yes, they are trying to sell more filters. The B&S filter is nothing more than an automotive filter in disguise and is most likely made by Champion Labs. $14 for an oil filter is ridiculous!

+1

Here is a B&S filter cut open..

bs2.jpg

Originally Posted By: btanchors
.... I like using automotive filters because I can use oversize ones which increases the oil capacity, and perhaps helps cool the oil a bit.

Comments?

+1 to that. I use the equivalent to a Motorcraft FL400/ Fram PH3600 on my Kohler Commands and Courage V-twins. There's nothing special to a Briggs filter that warrants the price tag on them.

Joel

Where I shop, Mobil 1 filters are normally $9.99. Occasionally they go on sale for $4.99 which is the only time I buy them.

I normally think they are overpriced for my mower at $9.99 *but* compared to the B&S at $14.00 that is a BARGAIN, NO BRAINER, SCREAMING GOOD DEAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back