Oil Filter With The Best Flow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a specific purpose in mind? I ask because as a general rule, increased flow means reduced filtering capability. Most filters out today that filter rather well can handle the flow of any oil pump as it is. Unless you're talking extreme flow and pressures in a modified motor.

K&N, everybody knows that...lol. On the real side you would have to do some research, a lot of Co's don't give their flow rates. WIX does, I really like WIX. Wix racing filters are good too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Fram orange can

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=315040&page=1

Yeah the filter that leaks around the media the most has the highest flow rate
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what readily available oil filter has the best flow?
Why and why would it matter.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

I agree. Is your oil pump inadequate? With a bypass valve, the engine never gets starved of oil anyway.

IMO, your goal should be to minimize wear, not to optimize a particular trait of a filter.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
Originally Posted By: Steve S

I agree. Is your oil pump inadequate? With a bypass valve, the engine never gets starved of oil anyway.

IMO, your goal should be to minimize wear, not to optimize a particular trait of a filter.

Goal is to have a filter that rarely or never goes into bypass mode. A "good flowing" filter will develope around 4 to 5 psid with around 10 GPM flow of hot oil.

I think you can go either way on this one. The bypass valve will make sure your engine recieves the proper amount of oil.

More flow through the media is great, but it (seems to) come at the expense of trapping less junk.

Flip the coin and you have (potentially) more oil bypassing the filter completely, but the oil that does get filtered is cleaner (as much as it can be with a full flow).

Pick your poison. Given how many times you might pump a sump full of oil through a filter during a 30 mile drive, personally, I'll take the finer-filtering device.

Although in the real word I just slap on whatever I can get cheap. But back on topic, the general consensus is that K&N's flow the most.

Your oil pump is positive displacement...the same amount of oil per revolution goes through all of the filters.

Some might be more restrictive, and cost you a psi or two, but the oil still gets through.

Up to filter bypass, it all goes through the media.

in my voyager 3.3 if i use a mopar filter i have no startup noise if i use a pureone i hear a clicking for a second or two

A filter with synthetic media will flow better than any other filter and filter better too.

Donaldson makes some that fit cars.

Royal Purple has a new filter out that looks good that I am trying right now.

Fleetguard makes a few filters that fit cars with synthetic media.

You will just have to do some reasearch.

If you have 3/4-16 threads on the filter you can use donaldson
p169071, fleetguard lf3487, or royal purple 30-8a.

Dan

A filter with synthetic media will flow better than any other filter and filter better too.

Donaldson makes some that fit cars.

Royal Purple has a new filter out that looks good that I am trying right now.

Fleetguard makes a few filters that fit cars with synthetic media.

You will just have to do some research.

If you have 3/4-16 threads on the filter you can use donaldson
p169071, fleetguard lf3487, or royal purple 30-8a.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back