Dressing or Stuffing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife calls it stuffing, I call it dressing - whatever it's called, it's my favorite part of Thanksgiving Day dinner. This year I tried something different. Saw it on an episode of Triple D in the last month or so.

Sauteed sweet onion, bell peppers, celery, and carrots.

Roux-based with half & half and chicken broth whisked in.

Equal parts stale wheat and rye bread, then salt, pepper, spices to taste.

Baked at 350 for almost an hour.

Supposed to add oysters, but money is tight this year.

Very tasty, so I'll probably do it again next year - with the oysters, I hope.

What your favorite dressing?

It's stuffing, and best right out of the bird! You are correct, it is the best part of the meal!

About the same as yours except we also put in broccoli and cauliflower,and red bell peppers, and use cornbread and biscuits. Stuffing goes in the bird, dressing goes around the bird, but its still the same thing.

Back in OK and TX where I grew up the stuff in the bird was stuffing, the stuff you made in the pan was dressing. I prefer my mother-in-laws, Mom's, and my wife's dressing. I know it is made with a cornbread mix but I have no idea what they/she puts in it. Sure is good. That along with some sweet potatoes covered in marshmallows, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and some fruit salad, I don't need no stinkin turkey.

Stuffing here; "dressing" makes me think of the stuff that makes salad edible. I don't like it whatever you call it but maybe I just haven't had the right person making it all these years.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Back in OK and TX where I grew up the stuff in the bird was stuffing, the stuff you made in the pan was dressing. I prefer my mother-in-laws, Mom's, and my wife's dressing. I know it is made with a cornbread mix but I have no idea what they/she puts in it. Sure is good. That along with some sweet potatoes covered in marshmallows, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and some fruit salad, I don't need no stinkin turkey.
+1 on the definitions.

Excuse me, Sir Johnny!

Now that you've got me using zMAX, I feel justified in also asking for complete recipe documentation on this appetizing feast - although I will keep my turkey, thank you very much.

Sweet potatoes and marshmallows?! Oh, my...

Originally Posted By: RnR
Sweet potatoes and marshmallows?! Oh, my...
What?!?!?! Doesn't everyone make 'em that way? It's the only way to go.

Great, now my stomach's churning. LOL

Quote:
the stuff in the bird was stuffing, the stuff you made in the pan was dressing

This definition makes great sense to me and explains why my wife and I (both originally from Ohio) call it by different names.

Although neither of us like (or eat) turkey, she was raised having the big bird every Thanksgiving - hence 'stuffing.'

I was raised (apparently by communists j/k) in a family where none of us liked the bird. We always had ham, or duck, or goose - hence 'dressing.'

Side note: my mil has to make two types of stuffing on Thanksgiving. Her home-made stuffing (which I love) and Stove Top Stuffing from the box for my bil - he won't even look at her pan of home-made. I mean, really. Boil water, stir in the contents and he's happy as a lark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back