diesel engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of engine flush can you use in a diesel motor. I have a 2005 dodge cummins. I was looking at sea foam

Not really sure if it needs a flush just figured it couldnt hurt. I was just thinking i might help the oil stay cleaner for a bit longer. The oil is black 2 minutes afer the oil is changed.

Absolutely you should flush your engine every once in a while! Do not listen to Steve that added no reason to his reply of "There is no reason for a flush." There are lots of reasons you should flush your engine. From the sounds of it, you care for your engine, so I assume you change your oil regularly. So, with that said, 90% of your engine wear is caused by corrosion, not friction. For instance, your fuel leaves trace amounts of sulfuric acid when the sulfur combines with oxygen and water. This acid attacks liners, piston rings, bearings, and other engine parts. A flushing agent will neutralize acid deposits, break down deposits of sludge and varnish and clean your engine. The best blending agent out there is Essentialube from Hydrotex. Seafoam is also good, however it would take a few bottles($$$) on your engine and doesn't contain the nitrogen additives to break down the acidic wear. Your engine will also run cooler due to the flushing agent removing and buildup on the walls of your engine that have created a thermal barrier. You will notice this on your gauge. Run 10% in your oil for about 2 days or 100 miles then drain your oil and replace with new oil. You have a 2005... I bet you will be amazed how black and nasty the oil you flush out of your engine is when you do a flush!

Just wondering how the engine temp will change. It is controlled by the temp setting on the thermostat is it not?

Tom

I don't see the need for a flush as a good HDEO with regular changes will keep that motor spotless inside. We have trucks at work with 900,000kms and more and they look like new when they are torn down for inspection or rebuild. Never a flush used nor needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back