Ran Out of Fuel, Re-Fuelled, Then Car Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNDER NO CIRCUSTANCES YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO THE DEALER. Your PM indicated that you will be taking it back to the same dealer again for your next maintenance.

At this stage, I am officially getting out of this topic. I am done :-(

I now imagine how a social worker feels when she sees the battered woman goes back to her SO :-(

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
UNDER NO CIRCUSTANCES YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO THE DEALER. Your PM indicated that you will be taking it back to the same dealer again for your next maintenance.

This is unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
So what did they charge you for the nothing they did?
probably $25/gallon for the gas, $100 diagnostic fee, and $150 for the tow.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Put more than one gallon of fuel in it.

Since you're a mechanic, does this usually remedy the problem? And have you ever seen someone foul their spark plugs to the point of needing replacement just from running out of fuel?

1) As to "More than one gallon of fuel," the answer is.. I have started car on less than one dollar of fuel after they have run out. Antifreeze bottles on side of road, 1/3 full, after walking 1.5 looong miles TO Gas station, then 1.5 miles LONGER w gas in AF container, back. Sometimes, even less. Not going there. But it started. Car also had time to sit and cool in those instances.. perhaps to "Un-vapor lock" and also Fuel Pump cool down. Perhaps. Though HOT cars still started right away. Depends on the car. And ambient temp???.. idk.

There have also been cars that seemed to need between five and six gallons, plus time to un-vapor lock (and something to cool down, perhaps that pump,) to start.

It can be that drastic. 80% of cars will start on whatever little gallon you put in, though. Anything else is extremely pushing it, but it started after a few cranks (to get the fuel back up to the engine) too.

And that was on whatever Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter was in there too, though "Borderline" fuel pumps, and pressure, could fail. Especially after something like that.

If it gets bad enough, the fuel LINE may need replaced. Though ive never seen that. Just Filter, and pump. Also, the gas TANK should be ok, as in tank itself.. as long as it doesnt have a pinhole leak (no way to make pressure) and the fuel pump isnt "Buzzing" at you when its driving, indicating 1) Imminent failure, or 2) Pressure issue (too high or too low.)

Ive never really had a car "fixed" by changing a Filter.. maybe it accelerated smoother, but never "Wont start" to "Will start." Hope that helps.

2) As to "Fouling Spark Plugs?" .. Good spark plugs look dirty, same shape as original, and no messed up electrode. Properly heat ranged plugs should pose no problem. And getting more power to the spark plugs, with a simple spark plus (bigger wires, more powerful coil, MSD?) does more than crazy fancy plugs that are WRONG for the car.

The Injectors MIGHT need professionally (Taken out and cleaned) if the Redline S1 wont clean them. Then again, there is debate on that too.
If you can not use the car for a week (park it somewhere,) Injector-Rx can get them to good as new, and if it IS defective (Can mimic a lot of other issues, from clogged Fuel Filter to blown Head Gasket if an injector isnt working right or having issue, stumbling, hesitation, etc) they can tell you that too. It is either "Comes back as new, or "Sorry IRX could not clean this injector it was found to be defective, needs replaced. Here are your other three, five, etc.)

What is your Mitsubishi doing now?

Other mechanics will chime in too im not expert, sharing my experiences.

I also had a vapor-locked car (that ran out of gas at the gas station) start after removing the Oil cap. Then it started right up after running out of gas, as opposed to turn, turn, turn, crank, crank, crank.. almost start, push gas pedal, die. No idea on how that happened.
confused.gif

I once replaced the gas tank in a Honda Accord due to age/rot(15 years old). When I finaly finished the job and filled the new tank using the 2.5 gallon gas can that I use for the lawn equipment so, that I could drive the car to a gas station and fill 'er up. The 2.5 gal's(that I had previously fill for this job) were not enough to even get the car started, even though I had tried starting the engine several times as to get the fuel pump to push the gas up front. Letting it rest for several minutes and trying again did nothing. So I had to take that 2.5 gal can(plastic BTW) back to the gas station with the other car and get another 2.5 gal's, come back home and dump the gas into the Accord's new tank. Only then would she start. Once started, it ran great for the next three years until I sold it.

In case anyone was wondering...After about 30 minutes of running back to the gas station for more gas and comming home, I tried starting the Accord's engine once more before dumping in the next 2.5 gal/gas as I thought by letting it sit for a 1/2 hour would have made a difference...Nothing! Not starting! Battery/starter were still cranking nicely though! So, I dumped in the next 2.5 gal/gas and she fired right up.

I was just wondering if, more gas in Chuck's tank(5 gal) would have gotten his 01 Eclips started and running fine. I mean, comm'on! 1 gal of gas? Should this happen to someone in the future, use Chuck's experience as a learning tool. When calling AAA or whatever RSA you have, ask/pay for 5 gallons of gas or more so that you can rule out any other issues with the engine/fuel pump/dirt/fouled plugs etc. Even if you get screwed on the price of the gas that you received, hopefully you won't have to get the vehicle towed to a service center or dealership for another screwing. Maybe Chuck's Eclips does have other issues IDK! But, having more gas in your tank to start with, you may be able to drive away smiling, knowing that things could have possibly been worst!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I once replaced the gas tank in a Honda Accord due to age/rot(15 years old). When I finaly finished the job and filled the new tank using the 2.5 gallon gas can that I use for the lawn equipment so, that I could drive the car to a gas station and fill 'er up. The 2.5 gal's(that I had previously fill for this job) were not enough to even get the car started, even though I had tried starting the engine several times as to get the fuel pump to push the gas up front. Letting it rest for several minutes and trying again did nothing. So I had to take that 2.5 gal can(plastic BTW) back to the gas station with the other car and get another 2.5 gal's, come back home and dump the gas into the Accord's new tank. Only then would she start. Once started, it ran great for the next three years until I sold it.

In case anyone was wondering...After about 30 minutes of running back to the gas station for more gas and comming home, I tried starting the Accord's engine once more before dumping in the next 2.5 gal/gas as I thought by letting it sit for a 1/2 hour would have made a difference...Nothing! Not starting! Battery/starter were still cranking nicely though! So, I dumped in the next 2.5 gal/gas and she fired right up.

I was just wondering if, more gas in Chuck's tank(5 gal) would have gotten his 01 Eclips started and running fine. I mean, comm'on! 1 gal of gas? Should this happen to someone in the future, use Chuck's experience as a learning tool. When calling AAA or whatever RSA you have, ask/pay for 5 gallons of gas or more so that you can rule out any other issues with the engine/fuel pump/dirt/fouled plugs etc. Even if you get screwed on the price of the gas that you received, hopefully you won't have to get the vehicle towed to a service center or dealership for another screwing. Maybe Chuck's Eclips does have other issues IDK! But, having more gas in your tank to start with, you may be able to drive away smiling, knowing that things could have possibly been worst!

Im going to be doing this same thing (Gas tank replacement, hopefully whole fuel system, every component, injectors cleaned) next year. Same reason (slightly longer time of rust,) and same plan.

What did you do of your Charcoal canister, and Injectors?

And did the gas come out a red-brown color, as well? Just basically 100% Sour gas, rust?

I left the charcoal canister in place and the car was carb'd. When I drained the tank, I had run the gas down inside the tank as far as I felt comfortable doing and then Honda supplied a drain plug in the tank from the factory. The replacement tank did not have a drain plug. I don't remember the gas comming out looking like anything other than gas.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What is the hydraulic explanation for needing to add at extra couple of gallon before the fuel pump will run? Does it air lock once it runs out and then needs to be re primed with the "extra" gas?

The fuel pump has a sort of a bowl thing in it which is where it actually picks the fuel up from. When you run the car out of gas, it gets completely drained. It never really gets completely refilled until it is completely submerged. Think of it like a carburetor float bowl.

Also, when you prime the system, you pull out ~ a pint of gas from the tank to fill the gas feed lines. You can run from what's in there, but the level has dropped enough that the pump can't refill itself and the car dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back