Put 5W20 instead of 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it spec'd 5w30 and you poured in Edge 5w20.....I would feel completely comfy with it for a 4k OCI.

Ford did back spec older engines that originally called for 5-30 to 5-20. So might want to keep that in mind.

Doesn't 5w30 thin out to a 20 weight oil anyways ?
21.gif

I need to feel at ease, and right now I feel the opposite.

I did this for a friends car, he grabbed the bottles I never looked at them, I know I know.. stupid

So I need more info, If I should call him up or not. I did put maybe 1/3rd a quart of syntec 5W-30 since the level was a bit low.

Ill probably need to buy the oil for him, I feel bad since he was relying on me.

When M1 first came out in 74-75 it only came in 5-20. I started using it in 78 in a Dodge truck with the slant 6 engine that called for 10-40 I think. Anyway the 5-20 was fine for that engine, kept it very clean, but it did use a little more oil than the 10-40. Also used it in a 77 Chev Nova 305 V8 with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: beast3300
If it was me, I would drain it.
Why?

Honest answer: simply because I would feel better.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
I need to feel at ease, and right now I feel the opposite.

I did this for a friends car, he grabbed the bottles I never looked at them, I know I know.. stupid

So I need more info, If I should call him up or not. I did put maybe 1/3rd a quart of syntec 5W-30 since the level was a bit low.

Ill probably need to buy the oil for him, I feel bad since he was relying on me.

Are you Kidding? Don't dare take that oil out! It will be absolutely fine, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but sleep well and change it out @ 3750mi. It will make little dif to the engine but maybe teensie better gas mileage. Cars ahve been using heavy weights forever, they are now using thin weights in everything. No Blowups yet.

Originally Posted By: cryption
I would drain it. The VQ35 is especially hard on oil. I run a 5w40 in ours.

That is a personal preference. 1 OCI will do nothing. I agree I wouldn't do it over the long haul but come on. Everyone says they are hard on oil. I have seen stellar UOA's with 5w30 and no shearing. I wouldn't expect too much dif. overall with 5w20 in a sound engine.

Well lets see - it's winter, no hard towing and racing, leave it in. Otherwise drain it, maybe that might ease the mind. Just don't extend the OC.
does that still make it 3/3 ?

^ true, we are in Florida so its warmer, but I am still not feeling at ease. I would feel better that the proper grade was in there.

I wish I was 100% for it, but I think I should to call him up and let him know.

Ill have to swallow up some pride but w/e better to tell him know then maybe something happening.

Last edited:
the 5W-20 should do fine for his vehicle.

Check the owner's manual for the vehicle, or the oil filler cap. A lot of "newer" vehicles are spec'ing the lower weight oil due to smaller clearances; allows the oil to travel faster through the engine and to keep everything lubed up.

I'd only change it out if you started noticing strange noises....but you should be fine with that oil, no problem especially for that short OCI.....

Also, keep in mind, YES; we (I as well) are in Florida...but this time of year we tend to get some cool temperatures and cold fronts that swing through....

My vote: Keep it in.

For [censored] and giggles, you could get a used oil analysis done at the end of the OCI and see how that Edge fared in the vehicle.

For all you know it could be your new best friend, errr, oil of choice; or at least for that vehicle anyhow
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back