Nyquil for children or toddlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is well known that young children should not have nyquil. I have been doing some research lately and honestly have not found any real evidence at all other than overdosing that it would be harmful for a young child. I see it screamed everywhere but cannot find a single study that shows what concentrations would in fact be safe. There has to be some safe concentration. I mean you cant tell me that if a 2 yr old drinks 1 drop it will suddenly die. I understand that it is not recommended and that people are careless and that there are other solutions. This is purely hypothetical as i am just curious. I know as kids, my siblings and I have all taken nyquil and more than likely too much. Anyone have a link or something to something other than generic hysteria on yahoo answers? I believe that the doxylamine succinate is the major problem ingredient and have read that 1.8mg has caused child death but nothing to actually back that up and what age the child was ect.

and you want an internet forum to tell you it's okay? Who's going to go on record? What if five years from now someone finds this thread on a google search?

Some drugs act very very differently in children as well as old people. On thing is that their bodies get rid of it (filter) at different rates

Originally Posted By: jstutz
It is well known that young children should not have nyquil. I have been doing some research lately and honestly have not found any real evidence at all other than overdosing that it would be harmful for a young child.

Consider a double blind study or two as your own evidence. Fund it from your own,at risk.

I see it screamed everywhere but cannot find a single study that shows what concentrations would in fact be safe. There has to be some safe concentration.

do you actually understand "concentration" ?

other than the last 4 seconds?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It is well known that young children should not have nyquil. I have been doing some research lately and honestly have not found any real evidence at all other than overdosing that it would be harmful for a young child.

Consider a double blind study or two as your own evidence. Fund it from your own,at risk.

I see it screamed everywhere but cannot find a single study that shows what concentrations would in fact be safe. There has to be some safe concentration.

do you actually understand "concentration" ?

other than the last 4 seconds?

Ahhh, yea i understand concentrations. Perhaps i should have said dosage. I was not aiming to get into semantics on word play. I was also not looking for justification as stated above. It was simply a question of where the fear comes from. Yes i do know that children deal with medicines differently than adults. I was really just looking for the study that showed this stuff so dangerous as most of what i found the issues came from overdosing. Shannow, im confused by your comment that states "Fund it from your own,at risk." Did you even read my post. If you did it dont believe it states anywhere that im interested in giving Nyquil to my child.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
and you want an internet forum to tell you it's okay? Who's going to go on record? What if five years from now someone finds this thread on a google search?

For god sakes, did you even read my post. Where the heck was asking for justification to use the product. You all are the first to pick on a mis spelled word or a word used incorrectly but you will post stuff like this that has no relevance or simply has nothing to do with the topics.

This being said, there has to be a Dr. or chemist on there that knows where this fear comes from. Just looking for facts, not any justification to use the product. I know that the acetaminophen that is in there is also very dangerous to children but we dont ban that. This is what has me curious about the other two ingredients that are in there.

I see it screamed everywhere but cannot find a single study that shows what concentrations would in fact be safe. There has to be some safe concentration. I mean you cant tell me that if a 2 yr old drinks 1 drop it will suddenly die.

Your logic is extremely flawed.

A dosage must not only be safe, but effective. You might be correct that a single drop won't harm a 2 year old child, but that same drop won't be enough to alleviate the cold symptoms. Giving that 2 year old child a dosage strong enough to ease the symptoms may very well cause damage to a 2 year old body.

Do I have proof? No. But a bit of common sense would tell me not to give Nyquil to a child if it’s not recommended by a physician or by Vicks.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I see it screamed everywhere but cannot find a single study that shows what concentrations would in fact be safe. There has to be some safe concentration. I mean you cant tell me that if a 2 yr old drinks 1 drop it will suddenly die.

Your logic is extremely flawed.

A dosage must not only be safe, but effective. You might be correct that a single drop won't harm a 2 year old child, but that same drop won't be enough to alleviate the cold symptoms. Giving that 2 year old child a dosage strong enough to ease the symptoms may very well cause damage to a 2 year old body.

Do I have proof? No. But a bit of common sense would tell me not to give Nyquil to a child if it’s not recommended by a physician or by Vicks.

Nope, my logic is not flawed at all. I completely understand what you are saying and it makes sense. the reason my logic is not flawed is because i dont care about if it is effective at all. Im simply interested in understanding the danger. If a safe dose is not effective is not important. It is not what i asked about.

Children below age 7 do not have the blood-brain barrier and chemical components that are safe for adults might be extremely harmful to them even at low doses.

Thanks Civic fan, I have been reading a lot of stuff about medicines and children. I am surprised to find out how dangerous things like Tylenol is for little ones and how easily they can be overdosed. The thing that makes it difficult to make decisions on medicines and vaccines is that there is so much conflicting information on the net with little justification for each claim. Some of it is difficult to separate people being over the top and stuff that is real. Im surprised how little real information is out there on some of this stuff, yet it is is recited as fact. It is just my nature, but i like to understand where information comes from and to question its validity if there is no link to the study or the research that lead to the claim.

Medicine evolves all the time so there is bound to be conflicting information on diagnosis methods, diseases and such. But to be conservative, my rule of thumb is to assume that unnatural things (anything beyond food) that are deemed to be safe for adults are going to be harmful to children unless proven otherwise.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Medicine evolves all the time so there is bound to be conflicting information on diagnosis methods, diseases and such. But to be conservative, my rule of thumb is to assume that unnatural things (anything beyond food) that are deemed to be safe for adults are going to be harmful to children unless proven otherwise.

Probably a very good rule of thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back