New Fiat/Chrysler 500 will cost $15,500

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Fiat-500-USA-Price.html

Seems a little steep for the base model. A base new VW Jetta is ony $15,999. I thought the 160hp Abarth or Abarth SS or whatever it's called version was going to come out first. Guess not. Abarth will probably be at near GTI money if the base starts at $15,500.

List of dealership locations here:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/11/2012-fiat-500-priced-at-15500-dealerships-announced.html

Some more info. from auto show:
http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/

I still think they are going to do well, and might just be the car that save Chrylser if gas prices keep on their upwards trajectory....

I know I say this about a lot of cars, but if I was just looking for a commuter car for myself, this or a Mazda 2 would be top of my list. For folks like me who just like small cars, this is what they are after.

You're probably right about it saving Chrysler. People went crazy for the mini cooper. This car has the same type of appeal, a huge amount of "individualization" through choosing options, and is quite a bit less money than the cooper. Perhaps some Yaris buyers will buy it for a little more style also?

$15,500 buys a lot of small cars. I drove on in Germany this past summer,this is a typical cheap Fiat.
After initial high sales because of the cute good mileage factor I think this will be the final nail in Chryslers coffin not its saviour.

Originally Posted By: Trav
$15,500 buys a lot of small cars. I drove on in Germany this past summer,this is a typical cheap Fiat.
After initial high sales because of the cute good mileage factor I think this will be the final nail in Chryslers coffin not its saviour.

I wouldn't count on it...

I agree with you that this car will sell well at first because of the "cute/wow/need to keep up with my neighbors" factor but then will slump in sales. A good example of this is the PT Cruiser. Everyone who wanted one rushed out to get it right away but now they are flirting with discontinuing the model due to lackluster sales.

I think this car is way too overpriced for what you are getting. For similar money there are many other new cars you can get that are bigger and have proven track records. I think this car needs to be $10-11K to be worth it. Only time will tell who is right; but saying that I do think it is a interesting car but I won't spend that kind of money on it.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

I wouldn't count on it...

Agreed. No one expects this car to carry Chrysler. The new Jeeps, LX/LC, Chrysler 200, and Ram trucks will do the heavy lifting in sales- what this does is fill the chasm that they've had in the entry-level/economy car line ever since they axed the Neon in favor of the (too big, too extremely styled) Caliber. It gives them a more complete more rounded lineup, and (presuming its not a pile of poop) brings in entry-level buyers that will upgrade to bigger/better cars in a few years- something that's been sorely lacking. A lot of Honda's profit comes from people who bought a Civic either in college or just out of college and later upgraded to an Accord, and then to a Pilot or Acura. You have to pretty much be Jaguar to get new buyers to jump to your premium brand after they develop expendable income without having first won them over with entry-level and mid-level cars. And the fact that Jaguar has teetered on the edge of failure for 40 years, they prove that its not a good business model at all).

Originally Posted By: J_Sap

I agree with you that this car will sell well at first because of the "cute/wow/need to keep up with my neighbors" factor but then will slump in sales. A good example of this is the PT Cruiser. Everyone who wanted one rushed out to get it right away but now they are flirting with discontinuing the model due to lackluster sales.

Fact check, please:

The PTC was scheduled for discontinuation at the end of 2009, but production was EXTENDED 1 year (it ended in about September of 2010) because sales were not slumping as expected, thus making it one of the more profitable vehicles in the line. It had a full 10 model-year run, and remained a strong seller to the end. Given that it was a specialty type vehicle, I think that's amazing. There was really no way to completely re-style a car like the PT, the MINI, or the HHR and still call it a PT, MINI, or HHR. Its not like a Civic or Taurus where a 2000 Civic or Taurus can be a completely different shape, style, and even size than a 2010. From day 1, cars like the PT are destined to have only one mild restyling before being retired.

Last edited:
The appeal of the car, particularly the Abarth models, is only enhanced by the fact that I can get one for 2% off dealer invoice. Plus any incentives and finance deals, too. As one who has a thing for fun tossable small cars, I see it as a win, win, win and win situation!

I'll take my Abarth Esse-esse in white and red, thanks...

Originally Posted By: J_Sap

I think this car is way too overpriced for what you are getting. For similar money there are many other new cars you can get that are bigger and have proven track records. I think this car needs to be $10-11K to be worth it. Only time will tell who is right; but saying that I do think it is a interesting car but I won't spend that kind of money on it.

I think if they can sell the italian design and stying angle it will be a good niche market car, like the MINI Cooper, and not a Neon replacement. In a couple years Chrysler can decide if bringing over a Fiat "Neon" will be a good move or not.
So really $15K is $5k less than a MINI, although maybe its too cheap to be seen as a competitor by the folks who are interested in these cars?
Anyways if it creates a buzz for a while its not a bad thing, and if it sells like the PT Cruiser they will be very happy. The PT Cruiser must be the oldest design sold these days probably at large profits/car as they've paid off the design and tooling costs 8 years ago...

Anyone else notice that the "Prima Edizione" model pre-order has already sold out?

Hmmm, spec'ing out the currently listed variants, I get an MSRP of $17,850 in a configuration I'd go for. That's still thousands below even a bare-bones Mini. It's looking better all the time...

I like the way it comes equipped for the price--lots of things I might want, and fewer of the things I don't want. If the quality is there I think these might sell, though I'm afraid that the typical Chrysler dealer won't have the sales force to do it. I'm not sure the same guys selling Ram trucks, Jeeps, and hemi Chargers will be able to wax enthusiastic about the 500. Hopefully the service departments will be up to the task too.

Interesting short article here talks about how dealers will use accessories/customization to drive profits. They talk about being able to sell custom seats, decals, etc. to owners who buy used 500's in the future. Man that's smart getting the dealers in the accessory business in a big way for both new and used car sales. No wonder that FIAT CEO is making so much headway worldwide.

cool. the domestics always like to say that Americans don't like small cars, but when a foreign make brings one over, it does well.
I think this is a great idea. I think I still prefer the mazda2, but I'm mazda-biased. this 500 can do as well as other so-called 'niche' vehicles, beetle, HHR, PT cruiser, mini, etc. and to be honest, it's only 'niche' because it's a retro-different shape. it's still just a nice small practical car.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I like the way it comes equipped for the price--lots of things I might want, and fewer of the things I don't want. If the quality is there I think these might sell, though I'm afraid that the typical Chrysler dealer won't have the sales force to do it. I'm not sure the same guys selling Ram trucks, Jeeps, and hemi Chargers will be able to wax enthusiastic about the 500. Hopefully the service departments will be up to the task too.

Based on what's been said by the guy who'll own my local dealership, it will be a stand-alone FIAT franchise. While the dealers will start out with just the 500, within 18 months there will be other FIAT and Alfa Romeo models to fill the showrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back