2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys this is my first post , but i been following you guys for awhile. great info on this site. Enough of the mussy stuff I have a 2004 grand prix with just 99,000 miles. the question is shoud i switch to pyb 5w30 or 10w30 for my smooth running 3800S/C motor or stick with P/U 5w30. the reson i ask is should i save my money or keep doing what im doing. also should i follow the OCI on this vechicle so late in the game? ive been doing 5k on the ultra

obviously your motor would be protected either way. but if it were mine.... I;d stick with PU or use PP.

make sure you change the dex cool in that motor every 3 years! the intake manifold gaskets are known to leak. changing the coolant before it gets acidic may help

Last edited:
I have know the 3800, and it's predecessor for many years... they are outstanding motors, and will hurt many Honda drivers ( and others as well) feelings with gobs of power, and knocking down 30 MPG + on the interstate in a boat that may actually float in some of the Buick's. I have never seen a need for anything other than 10w-30 on these engines, I have used that, and frankly I just never seen a need to move away from the manufactures recommendation. Also running PP, or PU for 5k is a total waste, I would not change the OCI ( and I am a fan of extending the OCI) but in this motor conventional at 5k is the best combo I know of, and I would not extend my OCI even with a synthetic unless using a UOA as a trend to establish a trend... still this engine works so good with any conventional 10w-30 like Valvoline, PYB, Castrol, and one that I really like is Valvoline High Mileage... as many of these engines develop some oil leaks when they get some age on them. I wouldn't worry much about the oil brand etc like I said conventional works great in this motor, engine oil is not what this engine depends on so much to get a long life, it is as mentioned before the intake gaskets.. also I would be checking the coolant out, and it's a cheap investment to change the coolant.. they last two we have owned has had to have the gaskets replaced, and one needed the engine replaced because of GM's cost savings disgrace to ruin a outstanding engine !!

Originally Posted By: Ram01
hey guys this is my first post , but i been following you guys for awhile. great info on this site. Enough of the mussy stuff I have a 2004 grand prix with just 99,000 miles. the question is shoud i switch to pyb 5w30 or 10w30 for my smooth running 3800S/C motor or stick with P/U 5w30. the reson i ask is should i save my money or keep doing what im doing. also should i follow the OCI on this vechicle so late in the game? ive been doing 5k on the ultra

I have double you mileage on my s/c Regal. I have used pyb to pp to pu. You will be protected with any of those products. With the latest version of pyb you can do 5k oci with ease.

You will do more harm to the motor with octane than motor oil. They will run on corn syrup.

I would go with the PYB. It is such a good "conventional" oil I just don't think "synthetic" is needed in most apps for a 5k or less interval. Save the money to get a UOA to verify your intake manifold gaskets aren't leaking. As mentioned above the majority do.

I agree it is a shame as the GM V6 engines are great except for that fatal flaw. It has soured a lot of people on an otherwise excellent engine family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back