Polaris 2W-50 ATV oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i know this thread has been dead for 2 years. i am having this problem i just bought a 2007 polaris 525irs outlaw. the manual calls for the 2w50 oil but the only thing i can find is the royal purple synthetic 20w-50 high performance motorcycle & ATV oil. i was wondering will this oil work or is this a big no no?

Stop over at Polaris Pros Dot Com, a new Polaris forum. Lots of knowlegdeable Polaris guys there. Seems most guys have great luck just running a diesel oil like Rotella 15w40 or similar. I race my Outlaw 450 and run Amsoil AMO 10w40 with great results. Polaris recommends their oil, well because it's their oil and it's in a weird grade. The engine is a KTM and they recommend a 10w60 oil by Motorex, go figure. I see you're in Florida, I'd think the 20w50 would work well for you. Be sure to follow the oil change procedure exactly, the KTM engine has two oil filters and two oil screens that you need to take a look at each oil change. Once you get to know your engine you may learn that the screens will go several changes before you need to clean them, but learn that for your engine before you make the assumption. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: tetsuo
hi i know this thread has been dead for 2 years. i am having this problem i just bought a 2007 polaris 525irs outlaw. the manual calls for the 2w50 oil but the only thing i can find is the royal purple synthetic 20w-50 high performance motorcycle & ATV oil. i was wondering will this oil work or is this a big no no?

Why blow a bundle on expensive oil when any decent quality HDEO will provide all the protection your engine will need at a fraction of the cost? Shell Rotella T 15/40, Delvac 15/40 etc.

Castrol makes a 5w-50 'synthetic' that isn't overly expensive (besides, we are not talking about a V-8 sized sump here). I use it in my Polaris as a substitute for the Polaris oil and/or the Red Line. Works great and is nearly identical in weight to the Polaris recomended spec.

Regardless of the amount being purchased, why spend more than necessary to buy an oil that won't really deliver protection anywhere near the percentage of the additional cost?

If there's no economic or mechanical advantage to do it, why shell out more money?

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Regardless of the amount being purchased, why spend more than necessary to buy an oil that won't really deliver protection anywhere near the percentage of the additional cost?

If there's no economic or mechanical advantage to do it, why shell out more money?

Because not all people make the same choices or have the same opinions as others. Some feel a particular brand/weight/type is something they believe will protect better. In most cases a common dino oil will do fine....others choose a HD oil....while still others prefer synthetic. For the minor costs associated with any of these choices (being that the amount needed for an ATV is very small), cost really isn't a huge factor since we are only talking a few bucks difference really.

You got no proof outside of personal opinion that HDEO is the best for the money, yet you make it sounds like fact. Like I have said before, not everyone needs to save money for dinner. You will not find HDEO in the winner circle of any professional motorcycle races for a reason. Not everyone is a tightwad and pretty much everyone needs more proof than "it saves money".

Derived from a Polaris ATV Forum

"FLUIDS Generic fluids are almost impossible to match up. Polaris is very hush hush on most of their fluids. For engine oil, you can run a 0w-40 or 2w-40 full synthetic engine oil. Any good brand will do. For your brake fluid, you can use any good quality DOT4 brake fluid. A good quality ethylene glycol based coolant can be used in your machine. Polaris mixes it at 60/40, but a 50/50 should be fine too. Just check your coolants freezing temperature before going into each winther to make sure you will not end up with a cracked block. For the transmission, gearcases, and ADC, and all other fluid types and locations, I highly recommend you use the polaris fluids. I have personally seen machines get their internals messed up from using "substitute" fluids. There is no information released from polaris that says what these fluids are. Its not that expensive to use the OEM fluids here, when you break it down to cost per ounce and how many ounces it takes to change. Just be safe and stick with the OEM fluids for anything not listed above. It is cheap insurance for a machine costing thousands."

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

You got no proof outside of personal opinion that HDEO is the best for the money, yet you make it sounds like fact. Like I have said before, not everyone needs to save money for dinner. You will not find HDEO in the winner circle of any professional motorcycle races for a reason. Not everyone is a tightwad and pretty much everyone needs more proof than "it saves money".

Harsh words.

I'm certain that you've been informed by numerous participants that your narrow "bench racer" views are not always applicable to real world needs. Who cares what racers use? Whose racing?

As far as my qualifications, I have many years of ATV ownership/operation. I probably have more riding miles backing up than you do going forward.

My knowledge is garnered from many years of experience, not sitting in mom's basement reading ATV/motorcycle magazine oil propaganda.

If you read the posts of people who actually own machines and are out there riding, most of them share the same opinion as I.

Why blow a bundle on expensive oil when any decent quality HDEO will provide all the protection your engine will need at a fraction of the cost? Shell Rotella T 15/40, Delvac 15/40 etc.

I don't think I would use the 15/40 in a cold climate like Canada or MN in the winter. I would think it would start pretty hard.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

I don't think I would use the 15/40 in a cold climate like Canada or MN in the winter. I would think it would start pretty hard.

Correct. If being used in a cold winter climate, switch to a lighter grade HDEO. Something like Shell Rotella T6 which is a 5W40 synthetic.

I seldom use my ATVs during cold winter conditions and don't switch to lighter oil. Normally, I start going to camp around late March or early April. By then the weather is warming up. If it's cold, say around 0F, I'll just heat the crankcase with a propane heater before heading out on the ice.

I'm certain that you've been informed by numerous participants that your narrow "bench racer" views are not always applicable to real world needs. Who cares what racers use? Whose racing?

As far as my qualifications, I have many years of ATV ownership/operation. I probably have more riding miles backing up than you do going forward.

My knowledge is garnered from many years of experience, not sitting in mom's basement reading ATV/motorcycle magazine oil propaganda.

If you read the posts of people who actually own machines and are out there riding, most of them share the same opinion as I.

You are a bench racer by definition. All you do is own and operate but never race, yet you think you know better than the bike manufacturers and oil manufacturers on what is the best????? Then in your dream you think that most people agree with you. The title of this forum is POWER SPORT not bike ownership, get it???? Your knowledge means very little in the POWER SPORT arena as evident by the fact that real racers do not use HDEO, PERIOD!!!! Why don't you try to attend a few professional races or some real bike events like Daytona Beach or Sturgis and see how many people really put diesel oil in their $10, $20, $30, $50K bikes. People who ride their bikes the way they were meant to be ridden don't use HDEO unless they have to. Like you, some might have to put food on the table.

I don't recall ever to have the need to back up my bikes? I have met many motorcycle taxi and delivery ridders in the Far East and the Middle East that put no less than 500 miles per day every day on their bikes. Like you, they know very little about bike maintenance and like you they also use the cheapest oil to save money.

Originally Posted By: pondfishr
Isn't this an oil forum?

Supposed to be, but it's seeming more like a PMS support meeting of late...
grin2.gif

I recently purchased a used 09 Polaris Ranger and the manual specifies 2W50. There's no such oil on the general market. I plan on using syntec 5W50 and call it good.

Originally Posted By: Roscoe10
I recently purchased a used 09 Polaris Ranger and the manual specifies 2W50. There's no such oil on the general market. I plan on using syntec 5W50 and call it good.

Sound decision.

Why pay astronomical prices for manufacturer's brand name oil when better oil is available for a fraction of the cost?

Polaris does not make oil, they sell oil to make more money. While they would like you to think their brand oil is something special, its not.

Its cheap generic oil supplied to them buy a independent bottler who makes many different brands to customer spec's. Polaris puts their label on it and sells it for a premium price and gets it because the consumer thinks is more appropriate for the application. Its all the same, different label, same propaganda.

2w, 3w, 7.5w.... are just ways to force you to buy whatever they want, or a way to differentiate a product.

0w50:
Mobil1, Klotz,Eneos

5w50:
Castrol, Mobil1, Redline, Motorcraft, Motul, Pennzoil, Maxum, Torco...

And, there are various 10w50's out there too. Unless its the cold of an Alaskan, Canadian, or mountain range winter, you don't need a 0w or 5w.

Most 50 weights with that wide of a spread will shear into a 40wt. I wouldn't have problem running 0w40's or 5w40's in northern climates. And, 15w50/20w50/10w60's in southern climates would be fine too. Just stick with a full synthetic for 'temp' concerns.

2w50: Obviously they want thick viscosity. Sump size or oil cooling might be deficient. They want a full synthetic since you won't get a spread like that without it. Pseudo 2w is for those cold starts. If you use a 5w or 10w oil, give it a couple minutes to warm up before abuse.

A VOA would be interesting.

Tracing out the oiling, cooling, and filtration systems would be a good start. Something is lacking.

Polaris lubes come from Lube*tech, a company who specializes in private label lubes for the small engine market. They are located in Minnesota.

Quote:
Since 1993, OEMs in the power-sports, marine, lawn & garden and heavy-equipment markets, have turned to us to develop their custom lubricants and other chemicals. We know small engines and we know what it takes to maximize their performance and keep them running, even under the toughest conditions. As your partner, we’ll take care of everything from concept and product development, to blending, testing, packaging, marketing, warehousing and shipping, throughout your product’s life-cycle. We blend raw materials in-house and package everything on-site, for the highest quality and lowest cost.
Quote:

"Lube-Tech transformed our commodity business, increasing sales by 20% in the first year."

Quote:
About Lube-Tech

Lubrication Technologies is the culmination of three of the most recognized petroleum distributors in Minnesota: Gopher Oil Co, Rollins Oil Co and Hallman Oil Co., lending a history that dates back to 1925. Lubrication Technologies develops and produces thousands of innovative products across diverse markets throughout the world. Flexibility, technology and unmatched customer focus are the key drivers behind Lubrication Technologies’ history of success and continue to remain the cornerstones for growth and diversification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back