Replacing brake hoses, use new crush washers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the rubber brake hoses on the Buick next week. For the front ones, should I get new copper crush washers for the calipers or re-use the old ones? The new hoses did not come with the washers. I've re-used the old ones before without apparent issue.

be sure you use anti-sieze compound on ALL threads on the bottom of the truck/cars. in an other 70,000 miles youl be glad you did

I have reused them, but I use a propane torch to anneal them first. Only once did that not work.

New ones always work for me.

The key is proper torque. Use a torque wrench. On a beam wrench, the number plate will be facing away from you. I mark proper torque on the backside. As it turns out, the value is about the same for every vehicle I have worked on.

Caliper screws take monster torque for the size of fastener, which is probably M10-1.5 on your car.

Last edited:
I'll look up the torque value before working on it. Although the old "tighten the living daylights out of it" method has worked previously.

Time to get a propane torch to anneal the old ones.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
use new ones and tighten them tight.

Within reason. A torque spec would be prudent, but I've always just made sure that they were tight enough to see the bolt biting into the washer. Those banjo bolts are both hollow and cross drilled, and aren't the strongest things for large amounts of torque.

I looked up the banjo bolt torque specs.

The M10-1.5 bolts on my Buick's original iron calipers have a spec of 32 lb-ft. This is probably the relevant number for sciphi.

The M10-1.0 bolts on the aluminum F-body calipers I retrofitted have a spec of 41 lb-ft.

I've used the old ones with success. You have to be careful if something stamps the washer so it looks like a mini vinyl record but even then it can be done.

For something with a smallish 10mm head the banjo bolts have a big diameter and coarse thread, both things that mean they need lots o' torque.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The new ones usually leak. I've always had to go back to the used ones to stop the leaks.

At some point those that you are reusing were new so someone got them on without leaking.
With all mating surfaces clean and undamaged with proper torque applied new ones will seal every time,the manufacturer isn't running around looking for used washers because lines are leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back