Should I change the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an 07 CTS with 54,000 miles and I am switching over to Amsoil in the transmission. Car is generally driven in a less than spirited manner. Probably 70% hwy.(one auotcross event and a very occasional foot to the floor by me. It's primarily my wifes car)

So, should I have the filter changed too at this point? Or just have it changed?

Well the filter is another $30.00 plus the labor to drop the pan. So it's at least another $50.00

I should add that the oil life monitor says the fluid has 74% life left. So the car itself is telling me it's good for another 150,000 miles. I would never go that long on any fluid though.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, there is no drain plug, and you have to drop the pan to drain/change the fluid. If that's the case, there's no incremental labor to replace the filter...I think it's a no brainer to do it while you are in there. Heck, the Amsoil fluid is going to cost twice as much as the filter...

Originally Posted By: willix
Why not use the dex VI? Thats whats recommended for the car and is very good oil.

look up the million mile van and ask me again. Plus I'm an Amsoil dealer. I want to see if the low vis gives me better mileage too.

Originally Posted By: NEOhio_Bob
If I'm not mistaken, there is no drain plug, and you have to drop the pan to drain/change the fluid. If that's the case, there's no incremental labor to replace the filter...I think it's a no brainer to do it while you are in there. Heck, the Amsoil fluid is going to cost twice as much as the filter...

They don't drop the pan, They hook it up to a machine and run it through. Unless I'm mistaken. Caddie dealer wants $65.00 for labor. I'm guessing that doesn't include dropping the pan.

Originally Posted By: nuskool
We have an 07 CTS with 54,000 miles and I am switching over to Amsoil in the transmission.
So, should I have the filter changed too at this point? Or just have it changed?

Yes, new equiptment metals will be mucking up the old filter. I would also install a Magnafine inline filter with the Amsoil ATF change.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Fluid and filter are recommended at 50k on that vehicle.

Really? I'll have to look at the manual. I was going by the OLM.

That's what it says in Alldata under severe service maintenance.

That's what it says in Alldata under severe service maintenance.

Well fair enough, I wouldn't consider it to fall under severe service, but i am changing the fluid anyway.

Why not use the dex VI? Thats whats recommended for the car and is very good oil.

look up the million mile van and ask me again. Plus I'm an Amsoil dealer. I want to see if the low vis gives me better mileage too.
I took a peek at one of the threads to find a Chrysler van requiring ATF+4 being tested.

In light of the fact you are a Amsoil peddler I see the bias & convience as the reason not to use Dextron VI which is a better oil for the GM tranny's.

I don't agree with the lodgic. I aprriciate Amsoil as top notch oil although not Dextron VI liciensed.

nuskool said:
willix said:
In light of the fact you are a Amsoil peddler I see the bias & convience as the reason not to use Dextron VI which is a better oil for the GM tranny's.

Is your opinion that the Dextron is better, or is there signifacant evidence to back it up?

Unfortunately Amsoil has not done a white paper on ATF as they have other products. That being said, it is rare to see ANY Automatic transmission go beyond 200,000 miles without need of a rebuild regardless of maintenance. At least in my experiences.

The owners manual says the same thing, but only for severe service. And we don't fall under severe service in any definition.
I tracked it once and that's all the boss will allow. And that was an auotcross. Soooo... like 8 laps worth of redline. Otherwise it sees pretty mild conditions.

Yes, the filter, unless it's been changed before. 75% of the contamination generated over the life of an automatic occurs in the first 5000 miles of operation. That includes the "built-in" crud from manufacturing and the break-in materials. All that is in the filter now, if it's not flowing in the oil. The second time around is more optional in my opinion. I would also suggest an inline filter in the return cooler line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back