Recommendation for coolant flush on 2008 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Altima as indicated in my signature. It's about 2.5 years old and will turn over 30K next month. The dealer maintenance schedule recommends a coolant flush every 30K, as does the Premium schedule in owner's manual. Schedules 1 and 2 in the owner's manual don't have the first flush until 60K, but then at 30K intervals thereafter. What would you all recommend?

Not being familiar with Nissan, I don't know.
I am a firm believer in Prestone..but it may not be good or as good for new cars.

I have an 03 Altima, I'd go the 60k or time frame interval before touching the coolant. IMO, it should be fine. Or split the difference and go 45k. Your comfort level.

I had my 05 Altima done at 4 years. The dealer charged me $22 for the Nissan 999mp-AF000p coolant and $60 for labor.

How much is the fluid from Nissan? Personally I buy the genuine factory stuff for our Toyotas, it's more money but I will never have a compatibility issue.

Schedules 1 and 2 in the owner's manual have the first flush at 60K, but then at 30K intervals thereafter. If it's at 30K intervals after the first time, I wonder why the first time isn't at 30K?

Many car manufacturers used to have recommendations like that. The theory behind it was that the cooling system is spotless out of the factory, but later starts getting built up with contaminents since there is no filter. That's why the first change is double.

However, in practice, especially with all aluminum engines, coolant can be changed according to time, as mileage is less important. My reasoning is that if you have 5 year coolant, regardless of mileage, you will still see on average a similar amount of warm ups and cool downs. Mileage itself does not stress coolant like it does with oil.

My 05 altima came with 5 year / 80k coolant (says so right on the bottle I bought from Nissan). So I'll just be doing my first series of drain and fills now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back