Best Brand of Dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to flush and change my coolant. I bought two gallons of Prestone Dexcool (because it has a $7 rebate per gallon), but I realized this Dexcool is orange. The Dexcool that is currently in the 02 Suburban is reddish/pink (is that the Havoline brand?). I'm going to be flushing it out with water.

Will the different manufacturer cause any problems?

Last edited:
I've used Havoline Dexcool in the past, now I use the Prestone Dexcool version.

No issues with either...

The predominate brand of coolant sold where I live is Prestone. I went out of my way to find a different brand and found Shell brand Dex-Cool at a local auto parts chain. The clerk there informed me that all Dex-Cool is made by the same manufacturer. I didn't pay much attention to that comment until I read a reply from PonderosaTX in another thread
regarding CCI making the majority of colant sold under many brands.
http://www.cci-il.com/en/products/antiFreezeCoolant.aspx
I shouldn't matter which brand of Dex-Cool you use and they may actually all be the same.

Prestone Dexcool as mentioned meets Dexcool specs and will work fine. I don't believe CCI is making everyone's coolant and even if they were Prestone and whoever else have their own Dexcool formula and patents. I think there are several manufacturers and don't particularly agree with PonderosaTx. Prestone Dexcool and Havoline and other brands of Dexcool slightly differ in formula. I prefer Havoline's as it seems to be less prone to sludging in some cooling syatems but Prestone will work fine with a pressurized reservoir.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I like zerex and chevron/havoline in my GMs that I still use dexcool in.

+1

I get Zerex Dexcool off of Amazon. It's priced reasonably and free shipping.

So should I be using the Havoline instead? Even though I can get a $7 rebate per gallon of Prestone, would it still be worth it to return it and get Havoline brand. It seems that is what most of you prefer...

Where is the Havoline available if I go that route?

Prestone Dexcool works fine. I don't think it'd be worth returning it and getting Havoline unless you know where to get it. Havoline is not very easy to find nowadays. NAPA is the only place that has it around here.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
So should I be using the Havoline instead? Even though I can get a $7 rebate per gallon of Prestone, would it still be worth it to return it and get Havoline brand. It seems that is what most of you prefer...

Where is the Havoline available if I go that route?

Kragen carries the Chevron which is the same as havoline. Zerex is just as good and can be found at NAPA.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
There is a NAPA close by, but if it doesn't really matter I won't bother.

I've used Prestone without any issues and it is readily available.
I've read that Prestone All Makes/All Models is the same coolant that costs a few bucks less because it isn't licensed by GM.

I used Preston and Peak with tap water in 250+k miles '94 LS400 without problem, it still has OEM radiator. I flush the coolant every 2-3 years with T-flush.

As long as it says GM and Dex Cool on the label, it's fine. My car I have to get it flushed also and new thermostat put in and will be using Prestone's 50/50 I have on hand.

Walmart Supertech(made by Prestone)long life 150,000 mi is the Identical formula as Prestone Dex-cool only it is green in color.

The 50/50 mix costs 60% less than Dexcool 50/50. It isn't licensed for GM although the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back