restore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chevy prizm with 196k on it and it is burning a qt. of oil every 500 mi., I put a 16oz. can of restore in it. has anyone had any good results with this sfuff? does it last any time? what do you guys think of it. thanks.

is it one of the 98-02s with the low tension rings?

I might try a MMO or seafoam soak, pull the plugs and dump a few oz in each hole.

Ive used Restore and had good results with it. It does wear off and you have to re-use it. But its one product, I will endorse for older vehicles that have shown me good results.

Originally Posted By: bayley77
I have a chevy prizm with 196k on it and it is burning a qt. of oil every 500 mi., I put a 16oz. can of restore in it. has anyone had any good results with this sfuff? does it last any time? what do you guys think of it. thanks.

At that level of consumption it can't hurt, as your prospects for reversing it now are unlikely. The other thing to try is the piston soak mentioned. I would prefer MMO to Seafoam for that, simply because MMO has good solvency but is carried in a light mineral oil which provides more lubrication than Seafoam, which I consider harsher. When either is ejected by dry cranking, I'd rather have the piston rings move up cylinder walls that have been subjected to MMO, and as a result are still lubricated, rather than Seafoam. But that's JMO.

-Spyder

I still don't believe that you can pour anything into your crankcase that will reverse mechanical damage or worn parts....

...but it certainly shouldn't make it any worse. What the heck

Are you certain that your problem has more to do with cylinder scouring or is it due to carboned up oil control rings?

If it's former, then restore or thick oil may slow down the consumption a bit; if latter: you need an engine rebuild job to restore proper oil control ring function.

I'd refrain from doing anything silly if I were you (and not sure about what's going on).

Q.

It will wrk if wear is not too bad. I have had it do amazing things and had it do nothing. As the other poster said it does wear off however and you need to retreat from time to time.

I used Restore on my Saturn and noticed absolutely no difference.

Tried this stuff once on our old '00 Corolla, among many other things. It didn't do anything for the oil burning, couldn't tell if it did anything, engine ran just fine.

If you do have a 98-02 model and are burning 1qt/500 miles, it will be quite challenging to slow the consumption.

I would honestly try Lubegard engine flush first, see what happens.

the restore has slowed the oil burning quite a bit, its been 400 mi. since I put it in and it"s only 1/4 qt.low. I was wondering how long it lasts. the motor also has noisey lifters, didn"t do anything for that. by the way it"s a 2001 that is known for oil burning. I am trying to decide if I should have the motor rebuilt, but it may cost more than the car is worth. what do you guys think?

I wouldn't bother with the rebuild. No matter how bad the consumption is, these engines seem to last forever so long as the thirst is quenched.

I'd try running a tank of Redline or Regane fuel system cleaner, then start adding 4 ounces of MMO to every tank of gas. Another thing that may be worth trying is Lubro Moly Motor Oil Saver. You can get it from Napa and its inexpensive, like the MMO.

Mine has the same engine and consumes oil too, but not as much. Right now I'm trying a different approach, but the one above is also something I've considered.

-Spyder

I think I'd lean towards cleaning up the engine long before I polluted it with restore.

There's alot of great advice on how to clean up an engine here.

MMO, Lubro Moly, piston soaks, high mileage oils, etc.. one (or more) of these might be your answer and experimentation with these probably won't cause any drastic issues.

Originally Posted By: bayley77
not yet, but it"s only been 400 mi.

Amnesia?

In the other thread you posed an identical question about a year an half ago on Restore. Throughout the thread you then updated on how it was progressively reducing your oil consumption.

Now a year and a half later you pose the identical question and are following up with the same updates. So is it that you suffer from Retrograde Amnesia and have no recollection of the experiences you documented across the linked thread earlier, or have the benefits simply worn off? If the latter, why are you posing the question as though you've never used the product before and have no experience with it, when your posts in the other thread indicate otherwise?

You have myself and others confused. Reread your previous thread already linked to and maybe then you can clear up the confusion.

-Spyder

I only used it once and stopped, was trying to see if anyone kept using it if they found any lasting improvement, or is it a waist of money, and only a very temp. band aid. ok happy now?

Bayley, maybe you should try some Lubromoly Mos2. I believe Spyder said his oil consumption seemed to decrease with the addition of this product(correct me if I'm wrong Spyder). Regardless, the product seems to be well accepted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back