Must equip cars with eng block heaters in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a 2000 Toyota Echo with about 100K miles on ODO. The owner admits that it originated from Canada and spent 6 winters there. The car does not equip with a engine block heater. I wonder if its engine might suffer more wear and tear in the harsh Canadian winters without the use of a block heater. Should I be concerned? Don't all cars in Canada equip with engine block heater?

Don't know for sure if engine block heaters are required for Canadian vehicles, but I'd doubt it. I'd be more worried about rust from increased road salt use in such climates than possibly increased engine wear.

Yeah, I did notice above average rust in the photo of engine compartment. I will look at the car this afternoon and with a careful eye on the rust under the body. Thanks.

Don't need block heaters as it's not too cold when we park in the igloo.
Depending on where in Canada the car spent the winter, it could have been 40 below in the morning, or rarely been subjected to below freezing temps. Just like in the USA.

I would think an Igloo would need lots of maintenance in Vancouver.... you might have to keep it in a freezer to protect it!!

Not an absoulte requirement to have them in Canada. Much of Canada isn't that cold, west coast actually doesn't get much below the freezing point. Urban areas in Eastern Canada typically aren't cold enough that they are a neccessity (though they are likely nice to have). In fact, even in the Prairies or North where most block heaters are installed, it's only necessary on cars parked outside when it's -20C or colder overnight or the whole day (park in am, start again after work). If it's always garage parked, there's no need.

When I say necessity, they are needed to be able to start, with most cars, that point begins at around -20C (generally, better condition vehicles with synthetic should be able to tolerate lower and start fine). They are nice to have at any point below freezing, since you'll get cabin heat faster (particularly with diesels).

Originally Posted By: sifan
I am looking at a 2000 Toyota Echo with about 100K miles on ODO. The owner admits that it originated from Canada and spent 6 winters there. The car does not equip with a engine block heater. I wonder if its engine might suffer more wear and tear in the harsh Canadian winters without the use of a block heater. Should I be concerned? Don't all cars in Canada equip with engine block heater?

I think it matters what part of Canada this car was used in

My wife is driving my '03 Echo now. My 1995 Tercel with 300K miles can't pass MD tail pipe emission test due to a worn out engine. I am looking for another Echo but with a manual transmission, which is very hard to find these days.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81

I think it matters what part of Canada this car was used in

In East Snowshoe, Yukon Territory you need a block heater. Many other places you don't

Don't all cars in Canada equip with engine block heater?

Audi and VW haven't had block heaters in their Canadian cars for many years. Aside from that, they're generally an option on most vehicles, and rarely are standard equipment. Few would choose to go without them, but they're certainly not required by automotive manufacturers' policy or legislative requirement.

As for wear, it's like anything else. If he was in -40 C and used 20w-50 all year round, yeah, I'd be worried, block heater or no block heater. If he used something sensible, I wouldn't sweat it.

Don't 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US? That car may as well be from Detroit.

With a gear reduction starter, regular size battery, and a motor with less displacement than a bottle of ginger ale, it should crank over just fine in Southern Canada.

Just make sure you are getting this car dirt cheap, Echo is known to give some minor engine problems after 100K miles, google it please....Block heater is usually an option available on most cars sold in Canada and especially the diesel ones.

If the car was let say from a town situated 400 miles North (as per the map not travelling distance) from US border, there might be a reason to be concerned about wear and tear caused by cold weather...

Rest assured this car if maintained well, will last a very long time and is very very economical to maintain!

And yes 80% of Canadians live and work within 2-3 Hours of drive from the Canadian/US Border.

I just saw the car, which originated from Montreal. The rust in the engine compartment is only superficial on some metal surface. The under body and outside body is amazingly rust free. The owner does a good job in rust prevention.

The engine is very strong after Seafoam treatment. I was very impressed and bought the car on the spot.

No need for block heaters here, and nobody uses them. Thanks to the Gulf Stream, the most of the cold in our winter is windchill and we rarely see absolute temps below -20C. Rust, on the other hand, is a big problem and what kills cars here.

-Spyder

From Montreal, rust from all the road salt used would be a concern. Lack of a block heater is no concern. Most cars in Toronto and Ottawa do not have them. I don't think Montreal is any different.

Buffalo has very similar weather to Toronto and Ottawa. The only engine block heaters I have ever seen in my life are on diesel vehicles that would not start without one.

I think GM equips most cars sold up here with block heaters, Ford too if I recall correctly. GMs are thermostat controlled (-16C & -18C on my cars) so no, definitely not required. Nice when they can be used though.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Buffalo has very similar weather to Toronto and Ottawa. The only engine block heaters I have ever seen in my life are on diesel vehicles that would not start without one.

It's funny how regional the weather is, Ottawa is pretty cold compared to Buffalo, I'd guess there are probably 20-25 nights below -25C in Ottawa and Montreal.
Anyways, its enough that dino 10W30 probably isn't a great oil to have in winter up there, but with the 5W20 in the Echo I'm sure it was fine.

Looks like you've found a well kept vehicle but living in Montreal, I would never buy a used car here... The bad roads, heavy traffic and huge amounts of road salt would keep me away unless I knew the previous owner and the car's history or it was very cheap.

Didn't Echos of those years had a floorpan rust issue that was repaired under a TSB or recall? Hence the rustproofing likely applied on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back