Oil for a 1992 Honda Accord SOHC 2.2L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goneflyfishin
What would you recommend?

Is Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic a good choice?

Probably any 5W-30 will do just fine, but it depends on what you want to accomplish with the oil. Just "don't blow up the engine" or long drain interval?

If you have lots of miles I.E. 100+ I would consider Mobil 1 High mileage oil, or another leading brand HM oil.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
If you have lots of miles I.E. 100+ I would consider Mobil 1 High mileage oil, or another leading brand HM oil.

+1

I'd go with 5w30, though I'm not sure how cold it gets in your part of the country. mobil has an economy green logo bottle of 0w30; if your an mobil-1 guy i'd go with that one actually.

How long and how many miles are you putting in that car?
The engine should hold up well with normal maintenance and any reasonable Dino oil. It's normally rust and wear and tear that allow a car like that to get beyond the point of further up-keep.

I had an 88 Accord that went 370K on cheap Dino, no problems. but the rust got too bad in the end.

Plain old Castrol 5w-30 for the last 18 years has gotten me to 370k in my 92. Recently switched to PYB. This engine seems to be so easy on oil, I don't think anything special is needed.

valves.jpg

Here is a question, how many miles you run on that oil? i picked up a car with 253,xxx miles and I'm on the fence of how long the drain interval should be.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Clean up that varnish! PYB, PP, PU should do the trick.

Yeah.
That valvetrain looks really bad for only 370K.
Next thing you know, you're gonna have sludge.
To anyone who has ever done anything to an old, high mileage engine, it looks great.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: shrooms
Clean up that varnish! PYB, PP, PU should do the trick.

Yeah.
That valvetrain looks really bad for only 370K.
Next thing you know, you're gonna have sludge.
To anyone who has ever done anything to an old, high mileage engine, it looks great.

11.gif

FWIW, of the varied oils I've tried in my 92 Accord, the car seems to 'like' M1 10w-30 HM. I've been running ~10K intervals for a few years. While 10-30 is great for Aridzona, you might want the 5W-30 mix for better cold start flow. HM oils tend to have a bit more ZDDP and slightly higher hot viscosity, both good things, IMO.

Another good Syn would be Syntec's 0W-30 ('German Castrol') if available in your area.

OTOH, the engine is very easy on oil and any decent stuff, dino, syn, or mix, will work fine. I'd be more worried about getting a decent filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back