2006 GMC Sierra 1500 - Low Fuel Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have this exact truck (plus or minus a year or two and Chevrolet is ok too), how many litres (or US gallons, I can convert) are you finding are typically left when it comes on? It is rare I get that low but just in case I want to have an idea. The manual is no help and the GMC / Chevrolet forums I looked at were all over the place and mostly were concerned about DIC accuracy. Thanks.

Do you know the tank capacity? When the light comes on, fill up. Subtract fill gallons from tank capacity and get decent approximation of remaining fuel.

forget the miles remaining, it's ridiculously inaccurate.

On our Silverados it comes on at 30+ miles remaining, then eventually switches to just 'low fuel'.

Running them down as far as we dared they still have at least 3.5 to 4 gallons in the tank!

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Do you know the tank capacity? When the light comes on, fill up. Subtract fill gallons from tank capacity and get decent approximation of remaining fuel.

Most people can't figure that out nowadays. I got that down to a science and know when to fuel up. I don't play the kept half tank full at all time because I pump gas every 4 days anyway due to my long commute. With 2 cars, I end up visiting the tank 2-3 times a week, which is enough in my book.

Originally Posted By: 2003f7
On my 04 it will come on with 20 miles of fuel remaining.

That's just plain stupid design.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord

that's about what I get with my motorcycle reserve capacity.

Should be filled every 100 miles, but will go 120-130 before making me walk.

Cars have it easy.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: M1Accord

that's about what I get with my motorcycle reserve capacity.

Should be filled every 100 miles, but will go 120-130 before making me walk.

Cars have it easy.

There are two kind of bikers, a very smart ones and the very dumb ones, which tend to reside in cities or places with plenty of gas station. Even the later make sure he's has plenty of the go-juice. I wouldn't touch a truck with less than 30 gallons capacity and prefer those with dual tanks.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo

This should be your plan.
I find that low fuel lights are very consistent.
But note that you can not drive on that last liter or two. it will stall and run erratically.
This misfiring also hurts the cat converter. This is the main reason they put the lights in there to begin with.

part OT-- I have seen different designs. IIRC, subarus with saddle tanks left 1 gallon that you could never get to. some Jeeps/chryslers can drain almost the entire tank, with the pump residing in a canister that uses a jet pump to keep the canister fully wet until there is absolutely zilch left in the tank.

Not knowing if your design allows full consumption or not is a big deal when trying to find absolute empty.

M

Ok thanks. Mine is the 5.3 in a 1500 chassis so I will use your 20 miles as a minimum... I should be able to go a tad further.

Yes J.A. Zizzo I can do the math (98 litres - my fill at light on) but I need to get into the situation first (light on) and I typically don't go there.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
forget the miles remaining, it's ridiculously inaccurate.

On our Silverados it comes on at 30+ miles remaining, then eventually switches to just 'low fuel'.

Running them down as far as we dared they still have at least 3.5 to 4 gallons in the tank!

Mine is actually very, very accurate. If it says 30 miles remaining, I will put 12.5 gallons in- the tank capacity is 13.5, so it works out perfectly. 50, 60 miles, there is about 2 gallons left. My fuel gauge is very, very accurate compared to say, the cavalier I had before.

On my 2000 Silverado the low fuel light came on with about 2.5 gallons of fuel left in the 26 gallon tank.

Same with my Mom's 2002 Silverado.

My 2004 GMC Sierra comes on and there is 3 gallons left in the 34 gallon tank.

I've always let tanks get to the low fuel warning except winter. Then its the 1/4 tank rule. Never had a single problem due to it.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back