Question about Fluid Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an undercoat sprayer and a gallon of fluid film. I went under the car and sanded any rust spots and sprayed with rust reformer. After it dried I sprayed most of frame and undercarriage with fluid film. I've read some where that the differential cover and the oil pan cover shouldn't be treated. Does that sound right? It said something about treating them would not let them dissipate heat properly. I didn't have much rust on the frame of my 2004 truck but for some reason the oil pan was pretty bad. I especially want to protect it since replacing an oil pan on this truck is a big job.

It's the Mobil 1 eating away at all the ferrous metals!

Ha, I jest.

Are rusty oil pans really a big deal? I've never heard of an oil pan rusting through before...

The scaling was pretty bad. A buddy told me he bought a used car once. He said he looked underneath and the pan was very rusted. He poked at a spot with finger and it went right through. Started gushing oil. That got me paranoid. I sanded and it did seem to take a lot of metal. The transmission pan must be aluminum because it's still pristine.

Oh yeah - they will rust. I had a diff cover rust out on a Ford Ranger and an oil pan rust out on a Honda Accord.

Fluid film would keep the diff cover from shedding heat? I dont know about that.

Sure, in theory it will. Absolutely. Fluid film will not have as good heat transfer characteristics as metal, so there will be a loss in shedding of heat.

However, the fluid film will get up to some temperature, and the outer surface will be shedding heat. Perhaps not as effectively as just metal, but it is not like it will insulate to the point that it will keep all heat internal.

Lots of parts get so caked in gunk and mud without real issue. I would not be concerned.

You could just repaint it... But then again, paint is another coating and may prevent heat transfer just like fluid film...

Thanks. Yes I did repaint and want to go a step further with the FF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back