Toyota Pickup, Punishing Ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the previous owner change any of the suspension?

I know my Bilsteins give a rougher ride, but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
Hi.

Yes the Toyota Tacoma has always had a ride quality that is noticeably bouncier than its competitors, which in my opinion right now, is only the Nissan Frontier.

Although they both use similar suspension designs, and similar off road components, the Nissan is "smoother" because it's heavier by several hundred pounds.

Eventually the ride may mellow out a bit, but it won't be anything drastic. I'm with the Toy4x4...the benefits outweigh the negatives. I also have Bilstein shocks in my 1996 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone when I only compared it to the Frontier. But that's my honest opinion. The Ford Ranger is aged, and its Mazda cousin is the same. The Colorado is not up to par either. I am a Honda engineer and although we make the Ridgeline, I don't totally classify it as a truck.

On that note, you can test drive a Ridgeline. It uses a fully independent suspension which, gives it a bit of a disadvantage in towing, but makes up for it in ride quality.

Does your Tacoma have one of the the TRD packages? That might be the cause of your rough ride. In 2008( according to online sources )the TRD Sport package had a sport tuned suspension and shocks( Bilstein )but was designed for on road use so while it might be a stiffer ride( for better handling )it should not really be rough.

In 2008 the TRD Off Road & TRD Rugged Trail packages however came with a beefed up suspension and shocks( Bilstein )tuned for off road use and that definitelly will provide a rougher ride when driving on road. These 2 packages should come with AT tires too which can contribute to a rougher ride vs a typical light truck all season style tire.

These TRD packages also came with a different "Sport" seat and sometimes those typoes of seats are not very comfortable. It might not be the truck so much as the seats?

I had a 2005 Tacoma( Double Cab 4WD 4.0L SR5 )which is the same basic thing as your 08( design/model wise )and actually it had a decent ride. It was not a TRD though and had standard seats, suspension, shocks, and tires. Of course I dropped down to the Tacoma right out of years and years of full sized 4WD truck ownership so that may be part of it. Maybe if you have always driven compact or mid sized trucks it would be different. I thought the ride was fine. One of the few things I can say positive about the truck.
thumbsup2.gif

If you have a standard Tacoma you can try replacing the shocks. OE shocks generally give poor rides( even when OE is Bilstein ). If you have one of the off road oriented TRD's you can swap them to something less off road oriented for a better ride too. Monroe Reflex is a very good shock. If available for your model and year Tacoma they offer a great ride. Very popular in the full size truck world anwyay to smooth out rough factory rides.

I would also check out that spring TSB the other poster mentioned. The only TSB on springs in my time with Toyota for the Tacoma dealt with spring noise not ride harshness. Maybe the springs changed? It has been a few years so I am not fuully up to date.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

I am a Honda engineer and although we make the Ridgeline, I don't totally classify it as a truck.

On that note, you can test drive a Ridgeline. It uses a fully independent suspension which, gives it a bit of a disadvantage in towing, but makes up for it in ride quality.

Is the Ridgeline being discontinued?

Originally Posted By: bobbob
Yes, I know the Tacoma I bought is a truck, but will this
ride smooth out a little bit? It is an '08 with 8K. Thanks

On the next set of tires you get, try some lighter and skinnier ones. They will help for the small stuff like expansion lines that get the whole rear axle jumping.

How many leaves do your rear springs have? 2+1 overload?
Toyota came out with a TSB a while back. Complain to your dealer about "harsh ride" (make sure to use those words). They will upgrade your Taco to 3+1 overload springs, same as used on Canadian and Mexican Tacomas. Ride will smooth out quite a bit.
I used to have a 05 TRD OR DC, so I know the bounce you are talking about. TSB springs helped a lot. Register at toyotanation.com. Lots of Taco-related info. You can find a full TSB text there as well. Just search before you post there. IIRC it is in the sticky in "2005+ Generation" forum.

Light rear (thanks to composite bed) is the reason for the bouncy ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back